Are Mysis Enough

captainemo

I have a Mandarin Goby. I have had it for about six or seven months. It will eat frozen mysis. It is starting to look thin. Are mysis enough? I would presume that there is not enough natural food in the 39 gal. tank. What are your thoughts?

renogaw

general rule of thumb is they will only survive long term on natural grazing.
you could try putting a pile of rocks under a strawberry container, under some more rocks to make a haven for pods to reproduce away from fish and hermits.
melev has actually trained his mandarins to go into a little jar and eat pellets. I finally got mine to eat some spirulina brine shrimp yesterday so i know it will eat frozen, and have a brine shrimp factory in the works, along with a pod factory, in addition to my fuge and 100lbs LR, so hopefully mine will live a long life on natural food.

reefkprz

try flyingfish roe, it almost always works for mandarins that are eating any non live foods and its highly nutritious.

S

smartorl

If you do, please just make sure that the new owner is very aware of his needs. There is nothing wrong with rehoming if you are over your head. Mandarins are gorgeous but not for everyone!

E

essop3

I think that would be best for the little guy. Many will eat frozen but won't compete for it so they eat less than they need. Mine will eat frozen IF it falls near her. I'd like to know how much they eat in a day when grazing. I bet it's way more than they get eating only frozen.

jessica47421

reefkprz where do you get the flyingfish roe? or what is it ?
renogaw how do you train them to go in a jar to eat?

reefkprz

Originally Posted by jessica47421
reefkprz where do you get the flyingfish roe? or what is it ?
renogaw how do you train them to go in a jar to eat?
sushi bars have it you can ususally buy some from the resturant or order some through them. up here in maine it is darn hard to find.