Are open air line bubbles ok?

hallzy

I have a 29 gallon reef tank and I was wondering if adding 2 open airlines would be ok to add to make 2 locations that would have just large bubbles coming up. My reasoning for wanting to do this is, I dont have a sump, and I dont have a protein skimmer, and I get a buildup of cloudy residue across the top of my tank. The HOB filter takes care of that film in the middle of the tank, but by adding to open air lines, i can take care of the left and right sides that the filter does reach. I already added the airlines to the tank because I had an extra 2 line pump that I wasnt using, and I turned it on for a minute to see if it would do the track, and it did. But I now have it off so I can ask you guys's opinion on open air lines. The spots that I have them, the bubbles dont touch any coral on their way up, and the only fish I have is a 6 line wrasse. I want to eventually get a flame angel as well, and that will be the only 2 fish I keep. Will these open air line bubbles be ok?
Also, I plan on building a simple sump and adding a protein skimmer, but finances at this time are preventing me, so I was hoping this would work in the mean time.
Also, I can add a picture of the bubbles turned on it anyone wold like to see the location and see that they arnt affecting any coral.

al&burke

I think you would be better off with a PH (power head) pointed at the surface to create some movement. Also what kind of filter do you have if it is a canister you can get the surface skimmer attachments, they work pretty good for skimming the surface. How are your paramters, just a bit concerning if you don't have the water movement which is important in this hobby.

hallzy

Oh yeah I do have a power head, but its about halfway up the tank. It gives me the perfect flow for my hammer and frogspawn. Well for all of the really. Its been working well at keeping them happy for 8 months now so I really don't wanna change the positioning of it. And I don't wanna add another ph because its only a 29 gallon, I just feel like that would be too much. Plus I just like the added visual affect of the bubbles, and they are very calming when I sit and relax and watch the tank! Lol oh I forgot to add that I have them set up on a timer and only planned to run them about 5 hours a day....

al&burke

I don't think it will hurt anything, people run them in their SH tanks. What size is your PH - maybe another smaller one would help.

flower

Get a regulator so you can control the bubbles. I had a straight line and it made a mess with salt creep. I put a regulator on it and slowed it down a pinch. It still breaks the surface but not create a salt creep mess.

rdub62

I would 100% agree with flower on needing a regulator, just using an air pump always caused me issues in the end, those bubbles go straight to the top and when the pop you get the salt deposit all over your lights, glass lids, etc.
I have noticed that most times you can find them much cheaper, as well as better selection online, rather than lps.