Are refractometers worth the $$?

azreefgirl

I bought a regular plastic hydrometer which seems to work ok. The reading is slightly off, but I had my h20 checked at lfs, so I know how much off it is and have marked the range accordingly. I'm just wondering if I should just keep using my hydrometer because it's a perfectly fine piece of equipment, or if I should spend the money on a refractometer because is an exponentially better piece of equipment?

joncat24

I would say they are worth it for sure. I tested my water one day with a hydrometer and got 5 different readings at one time with the same unit, same water. they put them on sale here for $40 sometimes....it is worth it.

renogaw

if you ever get a sick fish with ICK, or have deaths you cannot explain, you are going to want a refractometer.

azreefgirl

Originally Posted by renogaw
if you ever get a sick fish with ICK, or have deaths you cannot explain, you are going to want a refractometer.
Because I'm very, very new at this, please explain why the refractometer would be so much better than the hydrometer when ick or unexplained deaths are involved. Thank you!

hatessushi

Because I'm very, very new at this, please explain why the refractometer would be so much better than the hydrometer when ick or unexplained deaths are involved. Thank you!

Good question

AZReefGirl, where in AZ?

hurt

Unquestionably yes. A necessity to this hobby IMO. Before I bought mine, my hydrometer was showing 1.025. Then I tested with my refractometer-1.032 :scared: .

f14peter

Another vote for refractometer!
Besides being much more precise (Which can be very important), they are incredibly easy to use, especially if you have multiple readings to take. Just a week or so ago I took readings on my tank, on the 30g tub storing/curing LR, as well as the 18g and 30g tubs I was prepping waterchange water in . . . all in about five minutes.
When performing hypo, the salinity/SG must be lowered incrementally over time to a specific point (SG 1.009, IIRC), then even more slowly increased back to normal after the treatment.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by f14peter
Another vote for refractometer!
Besides being much more precise (Which can be very important), they are incredibly easy to use, especially if you have multiple readings to take. Just a week or so ago I took readings on my tank, on the 30g tub storing/curing LR, as well as the 18g and 30g tubs I was prepping waterchange water in . . . all in about five minutes.
When performing hypo, the salinity/SG must be lowered incrementally over time to a specific point (SG 1.009, IIRC), then even more slowly increased back to normal after the treatment.
100% accurate knowledge right here.
A hydrometer needs to be replaced every 6 months to retain its accuracy. If you figure a new hydrometer costs $10, that refractometer will pay for itself in two years.
I would not run a saltwater tank without having one.
The cheapest price, right here: https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...oot_parent_id=6

renogaw

Originally Posted by AZReefGirl

if your fish comes down with ICH, ICK, ******, etc whatever you want to call it, you will have to do a treatment called HYPOSALINITY. Basically, you have to bring your salinity down to a TINY bit over fresh water levels, 1.009. your swing arm hydrometer will never be accurate enough to measure that low. If you're getting snail and other invert deaths, it could be because your salinity is reading ok on your swing arm, but it could be way off and not high enough, or too high.

azreefgirl

Wow--an overwhelming response for the refractometer! I guess I'll be getting myself a refractometer for Christmas then!

royal gang

Originally Posted by HatesSushi
I am in Tucson.
hey i used to live in tucson, now i live in shabby ---- town Yuma :hilarious :hilarious

teresaq

I would have to agree with everyone else-worth getting one. my hydrometer always had air bubles and never gave the same reading. the one they have one this site in the aqua suppies for 39.99 is a good one.