Are there any corals that don't require strong lights?

vwbortoni

I have a question... Are there corals that can be in standard lighting (for example... in a 55Gal with 2 48" NO flouresent 40W each = 80W)? The reason I ask is that I found a place that sells corals online and they claim that the following (and others) can be kept in standard lighting:
Red Tree Gorgonian
Yellow Tree Gorgonian
Orange Pimpled Mushroom Rock From Indonesia
Green and Blue Umbrella Mushroom
Metallic Green and Hairy Mushroom Rock
This is what they say:
"Does well in ANY lighting or water flow conditions! Very hardy (no need to worry about keeping these) , may be kept under virtually any light or water flow conditions. "
Is this true?
:confused:

Mushrooms are okay with good water flow and lighting, yes. Most to near all corals do well in strong lighting though, but mushrooms would be fine.

robchuck

The corals on that list will probably survive under 80W of NO, but would do better under higher-intensity lighting. The mushrooms on the list would probably fare better than the gorgonians under your current lighting.
There are other corals that exist that don't have any lighting requirements, as they receive all of their nourishment from feeding. Sun coral and Chili coral are two examples, but non-photosynthetic corals are actually more difficult to care for as each polyp needs to be fed individually.