Are there any other guitarists on this board besides me?

tangman99

I've hacked around on guitar for over 20 years, but became frustrated with it a few years ago. I used to play a lot of Metallica, Guns N Roses and other Rock, but always felt something was missing. I learned most of the songs from tabulature which has it's good and bad points. After so many years of playing, I just could not get any better.
I recently decided to pick it up again and start brand new so I bought a new Hand Crafted Yairi CY-95 classical guitar and I am learning to play classical music including music theory. Classical takes real dedication and the big challenge is learning to use the right hand. So much more complex than using a pick. I'm enjoying it tremendously, but I know I have taken the first step in a journey of a thousand miles.

jared

A pick isn't easy to use either at first. I can do either, but when it comes to a sixteenth beat or above, a pick is needed.
Metallica freakin' rules! I can play almost anything they have out, even solos. They are my top favorite band. :happy:

tangman99

Originally posted by Jared
A pick isn't easy to use either at first. I can do either, but when it comes to a sixteenth beat or above, a pick is needed.
Metallica freakin' rules! I can play almost anything they have out, even solos. They are my top favorite band. :happy:

Never meant to imply that using a pick is easy. It definitely takes getting used to, but once I became used to where the strings were, that part pretty much became automatic. The right hand techniques are coming together, but they are challenging.
Metallica is my all time favorite band bar none. I was in highschool in the early 80's when guitars ruled the bands. Enter Sandman was the first Metallica song I learned how to play and is still one of my favorites. Unforgiven is my all time favorite.
Is it just me or have all the great guitarists kind of fell off the planet. What bands today have any real good guitarist that have not been around for 10 years? It seems all the guitarist in modern bands only know how to play 1,5,4 progression power chords and I can't remember the last solo I heard. To be fair though, I'm not a real fan of today's music and only hear it when my son is listening to it. I'm sure there have to be some good guitarist out there.

jasontk

Originally posted by TangMan99
Is it just me or have all the great guitarists kind of fell off the planet. What bands today have any real good guitarist that have not been around for 10 years? It seems all the guitarist in modern bands only know how to play 1,5,4 progression power chords and I can't remember the last solo I heard. To be fair though, I'm not a real fan of today's music and only hear it when my son is listening to it. I'm sure there have to be some good guitarist out there.

If you're looking for good rock music on the radio, you're not going to find much unfortunately. Some CD's I would suggest:
AFI - Sing the Sorrow
Thrice - The illusion of Safety
Not a whole lot of soloing, but there is a little. And the guitar work is at least stimulating, unlike much of the crap on the radio these days.

beaslbob

I once had a peter, paul, and mary book playable with four magic cords. So I guess you know my talents. :D

jasontk

I'm probably going to put up my Epiphone Les Paul for sale soon if you're interested I'll go into more detail...

lochi

I just traded my Martin to the LFS for stuff and credit. I play when I get time it can be a great stress release after being on the road all week

broomer5

I've played since I was a teenager.
I've got an Alvarez AD60SBK black dreadnought acoustic, a black Fender American Stratocaster with maple neck and my first guitar - Yamaha FG-110 acoustic that I wouldn't trade for anything - well most anything.

innsmouth

I've been playing for over 20 years.
My current guitar is a 1976 Gibson SG Custom with the Les Paul neck and headstock with the 3 stock Gibson humbuckers. Total low end destroyer. I had a 1989 Les Paul but sold it a couple years back as it just didn't have the tone my SG had so it was just collecting dust.
These are the players that make me smile.
Steve Howe
Alex Lifeson
Tony Iommi
Robert Fripp
Scott "Wino" Weinrich
and of course.....Frank Zappa

Originally posted by JasonTK
I'm probably going to put up my Epiphone Les Paul for sale soon if you're interested I'll go into more detail...

it really depends on how much we are talking here . . . . I know that the original Les Pauls are way outta my price range.

jasontk

Yeah the Gibson Les Pauls are thousands, this is an Epiphone. Epiphone is like a sub-company of Gibson (not sure if you are familiar with this).
I haven't decided on a price yet, but I paid $550 for it new, so I would only be asking about $400 at the most.

fishkiller

I've been playing for about 9 years. I play a Gibson Les Paul for my lead stuff, and an Ibanez for my backup. I play very hard, some very fast stuff. New modern type

[hr]
. Not death metal or any crap like that, but stuff like slipknot, metallica (older stuff), pantera, etc. That's the stuff I like to play. Hard, crunchy, fast metal. Standing in front of 2 Crate stax, tearing "one" a new ars, feeling your guts vibrating inside your body from the 16 10in speakers . mmmmm.....