Are they really worth the money????

nissan577

Hello,
Ive been seeing on many places the prices on them. at first i was insane about having them. but then i realized when people come over they like a $15 coral instead the $30 dollar zoa! so ive been thinking why do you zoa lovers really buy expensive zoas?
i dont mind wasting the money on them but why? like my house many people come. and some like the zoas but others love the frogspawn and xenias i have with the sps. but thats it. i hardly get a comment on the zoas.

spanko

Like anything else price is driven by demand. When only a few folks have them they can name them and ask for higher pricing. When more people have them and are fragging and selling then they are not worth as much. To me it is like waiting for a movie to come out on DVD.

nissan577

i agree. i find it kind of insane for all that. i was thinking about what you said that day and its true. so i agree with you. ill keep on buying zoas cause they are amazing. but like i said not everyone likes them. only people that are into this hobby
anyone have any opinions?

snap32

Im a big fan of Zoas, but not a big fan of the prices on some.. I always wait for a while and grab the steals... But HUGE FAN! My tank is mostly zoas and acros, Along with a small colony of Neon gren duncans

rlablan

i simply won't spend alot on corals. I buy frags and usually little ones and I will watch them grow and then frag them later in life and trade or sell them. It is not worth it to me to pay upwards of 75 bucks for a rock covered in zoas. If my params are right, My rock will be covered in zoas in a short amount of time. I think that it's better to pay 15-20 bucks for corals and just put them in and watch them fill out. (I save the big money for my fish and equipment.)

flower

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3109489
i agree. i find it kind of insane for all that. i was thinking about what you said that day and its true. so i agree with you. ill keep on buying zoas cause they are amazing. but like i said not everyone likes them. only people that are into this hobby
anyone have any opinions?

I like color in the tank...I chose my zoas accordingly. They spread so how many different ones can you have? I put the color I wanted on a large rock and another pinkish color on another big rock, on opposite sides of the tank... I am waiting to see how well they cover the rock...so far they grow pretty fast. I have had my zoas only about 3 months, they have tripled in size.
Everyone is paying so much for frags..Those frags are going to spread. So you folks with like 5 different types I just don't understand. They are a real pain in the butt to get off the rock once they dig in....surely that is not all you want.
There are so many different types of coral my tank can't house all the variety...and you folks are filling your space up with nothing but zoas???

To each thier own I guess.

fishtaco

I don't pay a lot for my coral and all my zoa's are 5 and 10 dollars frags and I doubt I would pay more. Price vary greatly between LFS and it is good to shop around. The last zoa frag I got was 10 dollars with about 30 individuals on it, half of them powder blue and the other half bright green. Another store I visit would have charged at least 25 for the same thing, yet they have some big pieces of living rock completely covered with bright green mushrooms, of course with so many on one rock and being expensive they have not sold, but continue to multiply and nice big shrooms fall off them on a regular basis and they sell these for 5 bucks each and that is the best deal I have found. Go figure.
Fishtaco