Are they the same?

Jpayso

It was suggested on this site that I get 3 blue reef chromis. If I were to get a blue reef chromis, Barrier Reef Chromis, Purple Reef Chromis Atlantic would that be equivalent? Trying to maximize color and variety.

lmforbis

They would be different species. It might work but it is unlikely they would swim together, 3 of the same species might swim together in a shoal. If that isn't what you are going for you should be fine as long as your tank is big enough for the number of fish you have plus what you get.

Jpayso

I was kind of wishing they would but it's not a necessity, if the do fine if not it's ok. Do them swimming together have any affect on tank size? I have a 55 gal I was recommended by

flowerWell-Known Member

To go with blue reef chromis (picture attached)...it has the same glorious coloring but without the worry of rehoming it later on, and you can keep more then one. A dwarf angelfish would be an awesome addition, they are very active and beautiful, the only draw back is that you can have only one per tank. A clown fish, banded shrimp, turbo snail n a hermit crab, are the only things n the tank now other than 3 rocks

flower

I was kind of wishing they would but it's not a necessity, if the do fine if not it's ok. Do them swimming together have any affect on tank size? I have a 55 gal
Hi,

A 55g is a very small saltwater tank, and too narrow to be really good for any schooling fish. The three Chromis would go in there just fine, so would a dwarf angelfish. A yellow watchmen goby, purple firefish, or Royal gramma will also add some color. You can't over crowd the tank, but you can certainly have lots of colorful fish to enjoy watching. A dwarf angelfish is very active and super pretty, your tank will come alive with activity with one of those in the tank.

Kristin1234

You can get them but you will probably end up with only 1 max 2. Lol.

Battle of the chromis has began in my 100 gallon. I've had 3 for 3 months and got them when they were tiny.

I'm down to 2 and know it won't be long till it's 1. I'm already seeing the agressor take action.

And they are the same species so they will still fight. Even though they are different colors.

I had 2 different colored fire fish as well and now down to 1.

pegasus

You can get them but you will probably end up with only 1 max 2. Lol.

Battle of the chromis has began in my 100 gallon. I've had 3 for 3 months and got them when they were tiny.

I'm down to 2 and know it won't be long till it's 1. I'm already seeing the agressor take action.

And they are the same species so they will still fight. Even though they are different colors.

I had 2 different colored fire fish as well and now down to 1.
I went through the same thing in my 125 with 3 Chromis. Then it was 3 Yellowtail Damsel. Then it was 3 firefish. Always ended up with only 1.

Hmm... I'm starting to detect a pattern.

Kristin1234

I went through the same thing in my 125 with 3 Chromis. Then it was 3 Yellowtail Damsel. Then it was 3 firefish. Always ended up with only 1.

Yup! Bummer but it is what it is. My orange fire fish was my first fish and my oldest ( in my tank ) so I was pretty bummed when I found my crabs munching on him. I tried so many times to catch that sucker after I saw the purple pick I g on him and put him in the hospital tank but he was not having it.

ClaptonsGhost

Fish. What ya gonna do. They all have different personalities. I have 6 chromis in my 180. These guys will school like Japanese teenagers, then suddenly chase each other around the tank. But they've never come close to killing each other. For the most part they school and huddle together whenever danger (me, usually) is present.

flower

Well, I must admit my blue reef Chromis did the same thing, I started with 5 and ended up with two for a long time, then just one. The damsels I understand, they hate and kill everything, including our hands. Firefish! I never kept more then one, but I really thought those little buggers were the nicest little jump to their death fish in the world, I knew they have always been suicidal, but never aggressive.