Are Vho's better than PC's?

alison

Ok, so now I'm taking a poll. What vho lighting bulbs would you do on a 55 gal. Like half 10k, half actinic o3 or what? This would be for the 4 -48 inch vho setup. Thanks~Ali

T

thomas712

You aleady have my vote on that.
2 URI 12000k 50/50
and
2 URI Actinics 420nm
Stay away from the aquasuns unless you like a pink cast. Its just a matter of what you like, there are some good points about the aquasuns as well, I just don't like the look they give, some do.

cbshark

I agree on that completely. And if you want a true day/night cycle, get two ballasts and put the actinincs on one and the 50/50's on the other. Also, get you some moonlights. I got mine off **** that auction site ****. There are an unbelievable variety out there. The one I got has 5 blue led's in a row with the ones on each end angled in so you get 120x60 degrees of light output instead of 60x60 plus with 5 lights, it is reasonably bright. Once you get the set-up, you can leave the moonlights on 24/7 but set your actinics to come on early, then your 50/50's an hour or so later and reverse at night. This gives a really cool effect and it is good for your corals and fish. I only have one ballast, so I only have a full daytime and full night with the moonlights, but oh well, it's all I can do.

dr reef

alison, I run 2-atinic URI and 2-50/50's URI right now. but I am getting new bulbs because these have been burning for 8 months. The new set will be 1-50/50's and 2-atinic and 1-aquasun. I am getting a new shipment of stonies in and they need a warmer bulb. They need more red light. not so much atinic.

alison

Hi, DR. REEF, the 2- 50/50's that you have now, are those half 12k, half actinic, or half 10k, and half actinic? I'm just learning about the bigger selection of vho bulbs. I love your reef, great actinic look. That's pretty much how I want my tank to look. Oh, and I see you have a couple hard corals, like bubble coral in the back, and montipora in the front, how do they do? Thanks, Ali

dr reef

Not sure, URI just has one style of 50/50 bulb. IMO I would just use URI bulbs as a hole. They are great bulbs and have a great company to back it. My sps do great. I really dont have a lot now. I had a lot before but I sold them for a good price. But friday I am recieving 27 frags/colonies of sps. my new bulbs should be here tomarrow. I got them for a good deal. all 4 URI bulbs for $90.00 shipped to my house.:D

alison

Hi, Dr. Reef, can you please email me where you got the deal on the bulbs? Thanks, Alison ~alison19782004@yahoo.com
Thanks

mary

Love my new power compacts! Got two Duals, by Current. A bit more light due to the excellent reflectors, so just had to move some leathers that were getting a bit much light. Good luck on your choice. All VHO's and actinics.