Are you freakin serious? video on pistol shrimps.

driedbrain

cool vid, but the temp of the sun? How would they even know that? And if this happens, what would it do to your tank? I've heard PS have been able to crack tanks, is that myth or fact? glass tanks?

reefkprz

actually there is a documentary video of a pistol shrimp shattering a wine glass. they put a cleaner shrimp inside the wine glass and a pistol shrimp out side the glass. the pistol shattered the glass trying to kill the cleaner shrimp. the impact at point blank is the same as a .22 calibre bullet. amazing critters.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by driedbrain
And if this happens, what would it do to your tank?
not a thing. the point of heat is so miniscule that the actual water affected by this transfers the heat away too fast, as well as it only lasting for a fraction of a second. the only signifigant result would be the target dying and the clicking noise that we hear.. keep in mind sound does not transfer from one media to another well at all. so while we hear a loud clicking in the riginal media (water) the sound is about 10 to 15X as loud..... I love pistol shrimp.

I would actually like to see this video, I keep hearing how you cannot keep other shrimp with a Pistol and I actually have a Blood, Monkey, Skunk cleaner, Rarer Cleaner (Lysmata galapagensis) and a Peppermint in with my Pistol - Who by the way has the distinction of having bi-lateral "pistols". I have yet to have a problem with him messing with any of the shrimp. Hermits however that get too close get picked up and body slammed out of his territory.

reefkprz

I'll see if I cant track it down or at least the name of the video. I tried to find it on the net but thats not where I originally saw it and had no luck. may take me a day or two. I think my buddy jessie has the video. If I can get a hold of him I'll find out if it was him that has it.

bill109

Originally Posted by larryndana
i almost don't believe it. lol.
i amost think he was all hopped up on the Q b4 he filmed that..
man that is crzy i had no clue.
-bill109

fishieness

Originally Posted by driedbrain
cool vid, but the temp of the sun?
the sun works by fushion. the lowest known temp of fushion is 40,000,000 K, which is almost 80,000,000 degrees F. so no.... it def doesnt reach the temp of the sun...

bill109

Originally Posted by fishieness
the sun works by fushion. the lowest known temp of fushion is 40,000,000 K, which is almost 80,000,000 degrees F. so no.... it def doesnt reach the temp of the sun...
haha thanks for the clarification
if its not the suns temp then they mean its pretty hott.
bill109

reefkprz

Originally Posted by fishieness
A bolt of lightening gets hotter than the surface of the sun... why couldnt the energy released from the click, is there some scientific reason for your doubt or is it just too hard to beleive for you? I'm just curious.

thud

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
A bolt of lightening gets hotter than the surface of the sun... why couldnt the energy released from the click, is there some scientific reason for your doubt or is it just too hard to beleive for you? I'm just curious.
If it shot towards your tank glass wall Im pretty sure it would crack it!

stanlalee

wow I always thought pistol shrimp were harmless noise makers and completely reef safe. learn something new everyday.
Question why does every single vendor selling pistol shrimp while making reference to the pistol ability ALL have it listed as completely reef safe and peaceful to reef inhabitants when the dang shrimp survives by killing and eating other shrimp and crustasceans

fishieness

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
whoops! i looked into it a little more and i was wrong. lol. the surface of the sun is not where the actual fushion takes place because it is only about 5500-6000 K. much much more believeable than 80,000,000 K. haha. sorry about that