Are you freakin serious? video on pistol shrimps.

larryndana

i'm watching the video over and over again....
learning....
taking notes....
i'm gonna be the next superhero....Snapperman!!!!
although i don't see well....who will be my sidekick?

lazypinoy

Originally Posted by larryndana
i'm watching the video over and over again....
learning....
taking notes....
i'm gonna be the next superhero....Snapperman!!!!
although i don't see well....who will be my sidekick?
mantis man? haha

theappe3

Originally Posted by LazyPinoy
did u? i didnt notice.

Its cool. I had posted because I wanted to get a Pistol in with a Skunk and then when I saw that I kinda freaked out, lol

kirkland

We have 1 cleaner shrimp now with a plan to get another cleaner, a blood shrimp and then a pistol shrimp but after watching that...the pistol shrimp is not on my wish list for future purchase!

masta man

The people at the most extreme on animal planet had this on to. It is amazing such a small creature packs such a punch. It would be the ultimate weapon if the military figured out how to do it too. A weapon that stuns and doesn't kill. Shucks. Peace

encyclopediatt

Originally Posted by driedbrain
cool vid, but the temp of the sun? How would they even know that? And if this happens, what would it do to your tank? I've heard PS have been able to crack tanks, is that myth or fact? glass tanks?
Reaching the temperature of the sun momentarily isn't very amazing. Those kind of reactions take place pretty easily. You can make Plasma (not the kind in your blood) in your microwave with a grape. That temperature is only reached for an insignificant amount of time, just like how a sneeze can travel at 100 MPH. PS do cut through glass fish tanks when they mature. You need to buy a special kind of plastic tank to prevent it from breaking. FACT, myth busted.

driedbrain

I seen the same animal planet show. It was the top ten fastest creatures. The pistol shrimp was number 1 I believe, that's all I can remember.

snaredrum

Originally Posted by kirkland
We have 1 cleaner shrimp now with a plan to get another cleaner, a blood shrimp and then a pistol shrimp but after watching that...the pistol shrimp is not on my wish list for future purchase!
I'm sure you have heard the phrase "More bark than Bite" Well I'm sitting here listening to my Pistol Shrimp clicking away. He does it when something gets to close to him. I have a Fire Shrimp and he has not bothered it at all. The Pistol (I call him Ruger) has his caves and as long as nothing gets near the caves, you won't hear him.

Wow! I cant believe the Pistol is getting such a bad name from these videos, please see my above post! I have plenty of other Shrimp and my Pistol has never ever killed one! I have had him for 3 years. Also I still have my fingers, yes hurts like hades but I am still alive after being "shot" more times than I can count.
If you decide not to get one based on this information and video your truely missing out on a fascinating creature.

reefkprz

I cant find that vid, darnit, I'll keep looking though, I think I saw it on some nature show. I wish I could remember which one its been years since I watched TV on a regular basis though.

team2jndd

I think they could have gone without the sound effects.... the natural sounds would have been better than the cocking and firing of an actual pistol. Kind of makes you want to discredit the entire video. Not to mention... he doesnt say surface of the sun he says the temperature of the sun. Hearing that, I assume he means the average temperature which, I am sorry, is not possible. The amount of energy required to make that much heat... I dont see it happening. If I am just being ignorant and somebody has a better source for me I would appreciate it.