Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?

fender

Originally Posted by ruaround
the original question i already answered...
$25 (the hotel kept) + $3 (the money given back) = $28... the people DID NOT pay $9 for the hotel room they actually paid $8.33 because the bell hop kept $2... its not a interesting question... its a question to get you to focus on something other than the true answer... hence the reason why they are called "riddles"...

There were no coins exchanged. They each paid exactly $9. Other than that you are right.

ruaround

Originally Posted by fender
There were no coins exchanged. They each paid exactly $9. Other than that you are right.
lmao!!! no i am right... $25 that the hotel kept for the room + $3 they got back is $28 for the room... divide $28 by 3 = 9.33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333... ofcourse there wasnt any coins traded because the clerk kept $2... they didnt pay $27 for the room... they paid $28...

fender

It has been reasonably explained above but here is another way to look at it:
(friends) 9* 3 = $27 (Hotel) 25+2 = $27
The $2 needs to be kept out of the figures for the friends.

ruaround

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Alright, here is a sequence question for everyone to figure out:
What is the sequence that these numbers follow:
8--5--4--9--1--7--6--3--2--0
i dont think there is a mathematical reason for the sequence... are they put into alphabetical order... cuz eight is alphabeticaly first and zero is last...

shogun323

i dont think there is a mathematical reason for the sequence... are they put into alphabetical order... cuz eight is alphabeticaly first and zero is last...
Brilliant ru!!! That's gotta be what it is. It had me stumped!!

aztec reef

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Alright, here is a sequence question for everyone to figure out:
What is the sequence that these numbers follow:
8--5--4--9--1--7--6--3--2--0
i think there's no numbers that follow, cause the sequence is already done!!

seattle

So am I but think they screen people and let the st00pid ones in the show
Or they are all VERY nervous adults.I got geography 2 questions that the adults and 1 both failed.
Only Country that is also a continent?-Answer:Austrailia 5th Graders:The Americas Adult:The Americas
Longest border with the United States? Answer:Canada 5th Graders:Canada
Adult:Mexico :hilarious

lion_crazz

Yes, you are correct there, Sir.

blue oasis

Originally Posted by fender
3 friends are on a cross country trip.
They stop at a cheap hotel on the way.
The desk clerk charges them $30 for a room.
They each pay $10.
Later the manager is going over receipts and tells the clerk that he overcharged for the room and the total should have been $25.
The manager sends the clerk to the guests room with 5 $1 bills to pay them back.
The clerk thinks to himself that you can't evenly divide $5 between 3 people so he pockets 2 of the bills.
He knocks on the door, explains to the guests that they overpaid (but not by how much) and gives them each 1 dollar.
The guests have now paid $9 each...they paid $10 to start and were given a dollar back making $9 each.
The clerk pocketed $2.
If each paid $9 and $9 x 3 = $27 and the clerk pocketed $2.... we have $29 accounted for.
Where did the other dollar go?

ok there was 5 dollars givin to the bell hop, making 25 with the clerk. The bell hop gave 3 dollars back to the friends and pocket 2 dollars so $25 that was with the clerk plus 3 dollars that was ginin to the 3 friends plus 2 dollars the bellhop kept: 25+3+2 equals 30