aren't flame angels supposed to be delicate?

kittykitty

Man I've got this flame angel and he is a straight up trooper .
He has twice lived through ich and fungus. (this was when my tank was new and not well established. Didn't help that I bought fish from JACKS AQUARIUM AND PETS!! :mad: )
One time, he swam into a coral decoration, and I took it out to clean the tank, not knowing he was in it. He was out of the water for nearly 30 minutes until I realized he was missing and found him. I put him back into the tank and he popped back to life in less than 5 minutes!
Now, yesterday morning, I walked up to the tank and he was laying on his side in the corner breathing heavily, and had lost most of his color. My damsel was picking away at his fins and side. So, I scooped him up, placed him in a little cave in my live rock, and covered up the hole with another piece of coral, with just enough room that he could get out if he got better.(just so the other fish couldn't get to him) He looked terrible, I thought for sure he was going to kick the bucket. Lo and behold, 2 hours later, he comes popping his face out of the cave and, while looking a bit tattered, went about making his rounds around the tank as usual.
I have a feeling that this fish is going to far outlive all of my other fish.

drakken

I hope he continues to do better. Flame angels are fairly hardy. The problem is when you get one that has been caught using the poison method. It seems that this method is becoming less frequent which will lead to better stock.

drakken

Originally posted by KittyKitty
cyanide?? that's terrible! I had no idea they did that.

Yup, some places do that. This mostly occurs in the Indo-Pacific.

robchuck

There's a whole chapter in "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" where Bob Fenner discusses illegal and unethical collection methods like cyanide.