arjayl - pro clear wet/dry 150 pro ?

hmmhmm

i'm setting up the wet/dry system now...i don't understand how the water on the protien skimmer side...is supposed to drip/flow over the bio balls (yellow circled area)...am i missing a part or have a part in the wrong place? if you have more pics of your setup, can you email them to hmmhmm@tampabay.rr.com - or if anyone else can let me know what i am missing...

tony detroit

water dumps down from tank
water gets skimmed
water from skimmer gets dumped down onto bioballs
water exiting bioballs gets pumped back into tank
repeat
note-you won't need the skimmer for the first 2 or more months of your tank. Definitely do some reading if you are new to the hobby or you will kill a lot of things. Good luck to you.

nella

I also have a pro 150. The problem I had was the water only ran over about 1/3 of the drip plate. I was using a pump that pumps about 740 gal per hr. I made a plate the same size as the filter drip plate. I bent the ends over about 3/8 of an inch. Now this plate sits on top of the old plate with the filter meteral under it. ( filter materal is from wal-mart 1/4 inch quilt batting. about $3.95 a yard and makes about 25 filters) I used a drill bit the same size as the holes in the drip plate and drilled the new plate. This raised the water level about 1/2 inch in the first sump. When the water flowes across the new drip plate it drips on the filter material then through the original drip plate. If you need pic. let me know. This works great.

hmmhmm

the guy at the LFS said i should drill the side of my sump, install bulk head/barbs with ball valves and use an external return pump instead of using a sump pump...right now i am going to use a surge 6000 sump pump- 700gph @ 3' lift...what do you guys think?

tony detroit

By the time you put that pump through all the tubing, and 4 or 5 elbows it will be flowing 300gph or so. He is right, get a holesaw, cut a hole, install a bulkhead and get the biggest pump your overflows can handle.

nella

did I miss something here. Im using a cheap 740 gal per hr pump. It sits in the sump and the outlet comes out the top and straight into the tank. The only elbow is on the tank. I dont have a problem with the pump in the sump. I dont have anything else to put in the sump right now. This is the easiest way for me, and if I want to use the pump to make a water change all I have to do is lift it out of the sump swing it over to the tub that I use to mix my water and let it fill the tank. Then put it back in the sump and I am ready to go. I never spilled a drop.

hmmhmm

i had to use the sump pump now, it seems to be working fine...like nella said, the only elbow is the hang on output going into the tank...but it does seem to drain the sump area quickly...my overflow box doesn't look like it can handle anymore flow if i submerge it more...anyone got an idea for that?
http://www.o4fclan.com/100_1014.mov
thats a 4.5mb file of my overflow box in action...im making a stockman pipe for it this week...

hmmhmm

it came in my setup...its too big for it though...makes me wonder if it was supposed to be in there....but it does keep down on some of the sound...