arrg mantis shrimp

cowfish

i have a nother mantis shrimp in my tank smaller thatn the last one and im lucky i saw him befor he kill any of my fish but now i have to try and catch him hes at a rock at the bottom of my tank.
i should have known he was there i have a bunch of tunnels in that rock and the rock seemed to get new tunnels every once in a while. this is my second mantis shrimp in a 55 gallon do you think i might have another one

64ivy

Remember, hitchikers of all kinds can come in as juveniles and therefore it could be several months (or years) before they make themselves known. Was your LR sold to you as 'cured'?

cowfish

this morning i got the rock i saw him in and he came out but he wasnt a mantis it was a pistol shrimp i dont know much about that speices but his claw is really big so i dont think i would put it back in my tank. yes most of my rock was cured i think it came with my order from gluf-view not sure thou. does any one know about that speacies of shrimp

buzz

It uses that big claw as more of a gun than anything else. Thus the name "pistol" shrimp. It cocks the lower segment of the claw, and winds the tension up really tight. When it unlocks it, it sends out a shockwave with the strength of a .22 calibur bullet. It stuns it's prey, and then it can eat...

cowfish

so he could break the glass or anything like a mantis could he im not sure if i want him back in my tank. could they have a sebiotic relation with my bar goby cause he was in the same rock as my bar goby live in

cowfish

has any one here kept a pistol shrimp in the reek and if so has it ever killed a fish or any thing tanks for the help

steve40

I dont know of anyone whos has kept one, but I often thought about trying to find one. I dont really see how a pistol shrimp could break your glass. Most likely would bother your fish and inverts but I see no way for it to break the glass. You should set up a ten gallon or something and keep it.
Do some research on them, you might enjoy them. I really envy you lol.

slothy

no they wont break the glass.. i have 2 in my reef and they are just diggers, and have a goby as a frend.. :) if your sure its a pistol i would keep it.. (but they do dig, so your DSB will not be at 100% when them in there)

reefsoe

My pistol has moved from the DSB into a hole in my LR... he doesnt bother the DSB at all and his shrimp moved with him!
More better for me