Arrow Crab Info Needed

jogre

Will Arrow Crabs kill Hermit Crabs? I found my Arrow clutching the remains of a Scarlet Hermit this moring, but I don't know if it was a molt or perhaps it died of natural causes. In general what do Arrows prefer to eat? I have a 37 gallon reef setup with about 60 pounds of live rock.

car guy

people say arrow crabs aren't aggresive,but my friend had one that kept trying to attack and eat his fish, so he had to get rid of it

piscesblue

I had an arrow that was quite aggressive towards his fellow tankmates. He disappeared after 3 weeks after he met my coral banded shrimp. One of my LFS's told me the 2 were compatible which is why I will not shop at that store again. Your hermit probably molted (for some reason, when a hermit molts, I always think I've lost one), but I wouldn't put it past the arrow to kill one.

I have mine in with emeralds, hermits, and corals and it has not once bothered any of them. She will eat the molts though. She is carrying an egg sac underneith of her right now and is a little pushy when feeding time comes around but other than that I haven't had any problems with her.

generik

I have one in my 55g reef. The only time I have seen it eating anything other than flake was when it ate a scarlet reef hermit that got yoinked out of its shell by an agressive blueleg.
It picks up whatever the fish don't get to and seems kinda shy. I did catch it munching an amphipod during one of my 3am flashlight safari.
However if Burnnspy says not reef safe, I'll have to keep a closer eye.
erik

johnnysalt

And Dodge Viper's aren't "street-safe" either....at least not when I drive 'em! (I'm a valet....hee hee!)
My arrow crab is fine with it's tankmates.
Fish: 1 flamehawk
2 perculas
1 pyjama cardinal
1 sleeper goby
1 purple pseudo
1 hippo tang
Inverts: 20-25 crabs (emeralds/blues/reds)
15 snails
1 sally lightfoot
2 f-dusters
xenia
anemones
peppermint shrimp WAS fine with it too....until it got sucked into the powerhead - Ouch! (Fixed that issue now though)
I love my arrow crab...got him from swf.com...he's my favorite invert - he's about 3.5" across. Like it usually goes, one will do fine in your tank, another will go on a murderous rampage!
[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: JohnnySalt ]