Arrow crab

mylady

OK, so I was doing some reading and found that arrow crabs like to eat bristle worms. We have quite a few in our tank and I wouldn't call them an attractive addition. Especially that really long black icky looking one. So, would adding an arrow crab get rid of the bristle worms? And then after they are gone, what then? There seems to be conflicting information. Some saying it will hurt soft coral and small invertebrates, others saying that they've never had that issue. I came across a thread on another forum where a long black bristle worm that looked very much like ours ate all the eggs of breeding clownfish and the clownfish had mouths full of bristles from trying to protect the eggs.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLady http:///forum/thread/380885/arrow-crab#post_3315762
OK, so I was doing some reading and found that arrow crabs like to eat bristle worms. We have quite a few in our tank and I wouldn't call them an attractive addition. Especially that really long black icky looking one. So, would adding an arrow crab get rid of the bristle worms? And then after they are gone, what then? There seems to be conflicting information. Some saying it will hurt soft coral and small invertebrates, others saying that they've never had that issue. I came across a thread on another forum where a long black bristle worm that looked very much like ours ate all the eggs of breeding clownfish and the clownfish had mouths full of bristles from trying to protect the eggs.
I am of the school of thought that bristle worms should be left alone until they get very large. If a see one that is more than 4-5", I will usually pluck them out with forceps once they get that large if I see them.
To me, and many others, bristleworms are essential to a tank, and one of the best CUC members you can have.
As for arrow crabs, I'm of the school of thought that they are NOT reef safe. More people have trouble with them eating corals than those that do not.
If you're really that concerned about too many bristleworms, look into something like a sixline wrasse. They eat them, but won't eat too many. I know bristleworms are ugly, but they are very important to the tank.

monsinour

But wont the 6 line not get along with what we already have picked out, the McCroskers in particular? The "crab trap" worked so well on the worms that I was thinking about setting it up again closer to the black one as well as the one I found last night. TO catch either one would be a bonus to the missus.
And besides, I dont want an arrow crab in the tank. My daughter doesnt like the way they look and I, well I just dont want one.

mylady

OK, so no arrow crab. The one worm I want to get rid of is easily 5 inches long. Hubby says bumble bee snaisl will eat them, but this guy is so big and they are so small. And where this guy is, we'd have to pretty much move a ton of rock to get to him and he goes back in so dang fast. Maybe hubby's trap will work. I don't mind the small ones, just this big long black one has got to go!

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLady http:///forum/thread/380885/arrow-crab#post_3315801
OK, so no arrow crab. The one worm I want to get rid of is easily 5 inches long. Hubby says bumble bee snaisl will eat them, but this guy is so big and they are so small. And where this guy is, we'd have to pretty much move a ton of rock to get to him and he goes back in so dang fast. Maybe hubby's trap will work. I don't mind the small ones, just this big long black one has got to go!
Great, I have a project now. woo hoo
edit : I will setup the glass and food tonight and see what I catch. I should be able to get the glass close to where his home is, but I will have to make it a long strech for him to seperate himself from the rock. In all the pics I have taken of this guy, in the id forum, he has never come completely out of the rock. I still have no idea how long it is, but I will use a beer stein glass to attempt to get him. Its a longer glass and wont take up too much room.

monsinour

Yea, she is like always on during the day and into the evening, I get on once she goes to bed. And then she wonders why i am up so late, LOL.

monsinour

i suppose. We are new SWF keepers. She is the animal nut of the house. If we lived on a farm with 10 cats and 20 dogs and a room full of birds, then maybe she would be happy.

S

smartorl

A panther grouper will grow amazingly fast, it will blow your mind and eat anything that will fit into it's mouth, in addition to trying to eat things that don't!