Article on new set up for FOLR

angelgirl

I am wondering if anyone knows of a good article with recommendations for a new set up for a 100 gallon FOLR tank
, I would like to check out pumps lighting sumps plumbing etc.. before I take the plung, I have always been a reefer, but I want butterflies puffers etc..
thanks
Angelgirl :happyfish

scsinet

I don't know any articles but I can address your questions...
If you've set up a reef, then you already know how to set up a FO system... it's actually a whole lot easier because so many factors critical to reefs are less relevant with FO systems. Reefs are just more disciplined versions of FO tanks, and applying reef knowledge to FO tanks won't hurt, it'll only help.
I did things like you. When I started with saltwater, I did reefs, then I started setting up FO systems to satisfy my desire to keep bigger more interesting fish. Reefs are about the corals, FO is about the fish.
Lighting

Lighting can be basically anything you want. It doesn't have to be strong or of any particular wavelength. It can even be incandescent (but watch for heating!!). My big FO tank runs two cheapo loco Sylvania Daylight bulbs from Lowe's. The fish don't care, as long as it's somewhat close to natural (no novelty colored bulbs) and runs with regularity (use a timer).
Pumps, Sumps, Plumbing

Pumps and plumbing are basically the same. You don't need to be as concerned about maintaining flow in every corner, but you do want a brisk current as most fish like that. Turning over the water maybe 5-8x per hour is more than enough. Sumps are always a good idea, even in freshwater. Use a powerful skimmer as many predators (eels, lions, triggers) are messy eaters. A wet/dry is a good filter to use in this application. Fish are less senstive to nitrates than inverts, but are very sensitive to ammonia, so it's far better to have an excess of 'trates than 'onia.
Long story short... equipment wise... FO tanks are easier. As long as you have a solid filter, a good skimmer, and a moderate amount of flow, you'll be just fine. Lighting is of little concern. What I can tell you I've learned about FO tanks that IS important to learn is husbandy. Bigger, meaner fish get pissed off at each other a whole lot easier than Gobies and Clownfish. Know what you are putting in with what. Crowding is something to be even vigilant about. A 100 gallon FOWLR tank will accept about 4-5 big fish.