ASM G-1X Skimmer...Likes vs dislikes?

djian

I am looking into purchasing one and was cusrious what you all thought. Pro, Cons. I currently have a 72 and will be adding a 29 - 55 gal refugium, so I didnt think the G-1 would be enough.
Thanks for any input.
Ian:D

redxlch

I've heard good things about the ASM from reputable people on this board and I have heard so-so things about Reef Devils.
I cleaned my so-so skimmer this morning and this picture is 10 hours later.

I

irenicus

I've heard some very encouraging things about ASM. Too many to list. But they have a cult following on another board.

redxlch

Originally posted by Irenicus
I've heard some very encouraging things about ASM. Too many to list. But they have a cult following on another board.

Don't forget about the ER's and Geo's cult...
I have not seen one complaint about the ER's and ASM's..ever

golfish

I woudn't waste your money on an ER when you can get a ASM for half the price or a better (Geo) skimmer for less..IMO, I would spend the extra 50.00 and get the G-2 over the the G-1. Scratch that, I'd go for the G-3. You can't over skim but you can underskim. You might as well spend the few extra dollors and get the bigger skimmer with the more important bigger pump.

djian

So far this has been positive info on this skimmer. I'll be making a decision by the end of the month.

djian

Originally posted by golfish
I woudn't waste your money on an ER when you can get a ASM for half the price or a better (Geo) skimmer for less..IMO, I would spend the extra 50.00 and get the G-2 over the the G-1. Scratch that, I'd go for the G-3. You can't over skim but you can underskim. You might as well spend the few extra dollors and get the bigger skimmer with the more important bigger pump.

I would have to disagree with the overskim statement. Skimming also removes good things as well as bad. I am a firm beleiver in skimming for 6 hours ever night. Equivalent to 1 week a month of nighttime use only, IMO. Anyways, glad to hear people like the ASM's, looking forward to getting one in January.
Ian:eek:

golfish

Originally posted by djian
I would have to disagree with the overskim statement. Skimming also removes good things as well as bad.

so what good things are being removed that can't be replaced with say a Ca reactor and or WC's?

scottyc

joker,
its very quiet,mine sits in my sump, it came with the ocean runner 2700 pump, paid $189 for it, retails at lfs by me for $280.

acrylic51

Sorry to jump in, but I have to agree with Golfish.... I think it's highly unlikely that any of use could overskim our tanks.... What little amount of good things the skimmer "removes" can easily be compensated for as Golfish stated.

tony detroit

Originally posted by djian
I would have to disagree with the overskim statement.

I disagree with you.
Think about it.
The waste sticks to air bubbles. SIMPLE AS THAT
What would make it stick to air bubbles in an "oversized" skimmer, but not in an "undersized" skimmer.
I'm with golfish. You're either skimming enough, or not enough. But you aren't overskimming.

tronicsdr

Needs the sump, I have the Turbofloater 1000 also. I run mine with a rio 2100 and a powerhead 401 for flow... I am looking into getting a EV series but I may keep the Turbofloater... If I do keep it I will probably change the pump..

tronicsdr

I run an Excalibur on my 55, Its HOB. I don't know if they make anything big enough for a 180.. Maybe you could get a coulple of smaller ones and put one on each side.