ASM Skimmer Help

B

bush

Hello All!
I recently purchased an ASM G1 skimmer from this site. It did not come with the elbow for connecting the pump to the skimmer, nor did the pump have suction cups. Is this typical? Is there an easy fix or should I look into returning the item?
Thanks in advance!

maelv

I also bought an ASM skimmer from here....mine was missing 2 of the 4 suction cups. But I didn't even bother them about it...I LOVE the skimmer and the suction cups can be bought at Lowes or any other hardware store. And after it is up and running, the unit stays put at the bottom of my sump anyhow.
However, the elbow? I would definitely contact them about that. You're not going to get it up and running (as you already know)...

B

bush

I contacted them about both. The reply I got back was:
"Thanks for the email. Sorry, we just sell the product. You will need to contact the Manufacturer All Seas Fisheries directly about your concerns."
Is All Seas Fisheries the manufacturer? Does anyone have contact for them?
Or should I continue to try and deal with this website?
Thanks.

acrylic51

A regular elbow to make the connection between the pump and the skimmer, can be replaced with just a regular elbow....The stuff that should have come with the skimmer is sched 80 parts.....Again all the parts should have come with the skimmer purchase.....If anything I'd return the skimmer and get your money back if unsatisfied........The suction cups shouldn't make any difference in the skimmer performance.

B

bush

Assuming I go and purchase an elbow and some suction cups, what kind of elbow do I need to get? I see that for the pump end it could simply overlap the current fitting (not sure what this is called). Where it attaches to the skimmer there is a round rubber gasket. Is this just a pressure fit (i.e. just push it in)? If anyone could take a picture of what an ASM skimmer should look like assembled it would really help.
I guess the long flexible hose attaches to the side of the skimmer and then the pipe with the sponge on it should be how high? Should the G1 skimmer be placed on a stand in the sump? I have read where skimmers operate best in a specific depth of water. I was planning for 10 inches of water height in my skimmer section. Does it need to be elevated? The instructions are not very clear for a newbie.
Thanks for your help.

acrylic51

I'm not a plumbing angles guy by any means........The ones that come with the skimmer stock are sched 80 which means they would be grey in color, and they would be 90 degree elbows.....You don't really need the suction cups, but you could probably get some cheapo suction cups at your LFS or off some cheap PH's.

B

bush

Does the elbow slide onto the pump outlet and then just press it into the rubber gasket on the skimmer? Is that all that is required to connect one to the other? Is any glue needed?

acrylic51

Don't glue anything......the rubber seal your referring to is called a uni-seal.....You need to make sure that the uni-seal is in place....If you were to pull the seal out you'd see there is a groove cut into the seal and it needs to be seated in the hole......The easiest way to do it is then take the little straight piece and wet the inside of the seal a bit and then slide the straight tube inside the uniseal a little ways.....then you would just connect the elbow to the straight piece and then the elbow would connect to the pump.....there isn't any need to glue anything.....there isn't alot of pressure in those areas as you would think....Sorry don't have any pics of the pump/body connections.

quads4_lif

give me you email and I will give you a site that was very helpful with my asm G2 that came from this site with a chip in the cone section. All they said is that they can not do anything. They would give me credit but it would cost me shipping to ship it back. And the has lots of parts for these skimmers. They also have a live chat and are super nice people.

ppp

I've been very happy with my G3, but recently the output is overflowing and splashing out of my sump. I cleaned the foam sleeve and it was ok for a week but then the same thing happened.
Will the gate valve mod help w/ this problem?

acrylic51

Gate valve mod will make the skimmer easier to fine tune, and the water return won't be straight up in the air as it is stock.....Should eliminate the water splash issue your having.....The foam sleeve is just there to cut down on any micro bubbles leaving the skimmer.