ASM Skimmer question

onefishtwofish

I'm in the process of setting up a 75 gallon FOWLR tank for peaceful fish, and am slowly gathering equipment. Here's what I have so far:
75 g Perfecto reef ready tank
Proclear 125g wet-dry filter/sump
Current Nova Extreme T-5 light (4 bulbs)
Coralife 50gpd RODI unit
Refractometer
ASM G-1 in sump skimmer with Sedra 2500 pump
My question is on the skimmer, as there are no instructions, only a parts list. Some of the parts seem to be missing. Does anyone have experience with these?
I still need a return pump, but I don't think I'll have room in the sump. I also need a couple of powerheads. Does anyone have recommendations?
I've learned so much from this forum and am looking forward to starting my tank! The stand is being built and I'll post pictures as soon as everything is in place. Thanks in advance for your help!

murph145

the skimmer should basically be a skimmer with a feed pump....
skimmer housing..... thats the round cylindrical piece that the water is in with the bubbles
skimmer collection cup for the overflow of crap
feed pump which is the sedra 2500
and the riser bar with foam pad which allows ur to raise or lower the water output to control how much skimming u do.... wet vs dry skimming
other than that thats all there is to it

onefishtwofish

OK, I took everything apart and figured out that the elbow that runs from the pump to the skimmer was not included, even though it was on the parts inventory list. I've emailed SWF asking if they would send it.

onefishtwofish

They said they contacted the manufacturer and were told the elbow was not included with the G1 and is not necessary. So how does the pump connect to the skimmer body??? I'll probably return it and get something else, as the elbow was listed in the inventory specifically for the G1 but wasn't included.

murph145

hmmm interesting im not sure how that would work without it.... u could probably go get one from the local hardware store pretty easily but its up to u on what u wanna do.... mine needs an elbow to work so id assume urs would too

zman1

If timing is an issue getting one from SWF. Measure the output on top of the pump with the rubber ring around it. Nominal pipe is measued by I.D. If it's O.D on the Pump (with the rubber ring) is 1/2" or 3/4" then pick up a street L for the right size at Lowes or Home Depot. that should work for you. I have sedra 9000 on my ASM skimmer, just don't know what a 2500 is.
Or get a 90 and add a short piece of pipe 1.5" length. One end of the 90 on the pump the other end with the short pipe goes through the rubber grommet on the skimmer body. Picking up both the street L and 90 elbow and small section of pipe $5. You will spend more in gas than the parts.