ASM skimmer question

coralreefer

would the ASM G3 skimmer rated to 250 gallons be overkill on a 75? would it work in a sump with a mag9.5 return?

al mc

I personally think that it is better to 'overskim' some and have always sized my skimmers for about 2x their rated water volume. I would rather use a G# than a G2 in your situation. The Mag 9.5 may be a little much though..I have NO problems with it if your return can handle the water volume.

coralreefer

no, i mean the return is the mag 9.5. so, it would work as long as the return pump is stronger than the pump on the skimmer?

A

allenk

The skimmer is just recirculating water back into the sump, so it shouldn't matter what kind of return pump you are using. The faster the pump on the skimmer, the faster it is returning water to the sump so it should be a wash.
But, I'll bump this to see if there is something i'm missing here. I am looking to put a refugium in this summer and am in the information gathering phase.

grubsnaek

Originally Posted by allenk
http:///forum/post/2587653
The skimmer is just recirculating water back into the sump, so it shouldn't matter what kind of return pump you are using. The faster the pump on the skimmer, the faster it is returning water to the sump so it should be a wash.
exactly what i thought

A

allenk

The G3 probably would be overkill on a 75 gallon tank. By that I mean only that it would cost more electricity to operate without any significant increase in performance. A skimmer rated at 150 gallons would be more than enough to skim that tank. At some point, you run out of stuff to skim.
Whether the mag 9.5 would be too much doesn't depend on the pump on the protein skimmer. Instead, it has to do with how much water is draining down from the main tank. They have to match up; ie: 600 gallons in with 600 gallons out, etc.
I would think that as long as the pump capacity and the main tank "drains" are balanced, the water level in the fuge/sump should even out regardless which protein skimmer you use.
I'd be interested to know what some of the more experienced aquarium "plumbers" say about this.

coralreefer

so, if the overflow is going to be 800gph, the pump for the skimmer has to be 800 gph?
P.S. the protein skimmer is not going to be plumbed into the plumbing. it is just going to be sitting in the sump

A

allenk

No, if the overflow is 800 gallons, then the return pump must be able to match that output, taking into consideration and head pressure and right angles etc. in the plumbing.
The pump on the skimmer shouldn't really make a difference because all it is doing is circulating water that is in the sump. It is not putting more water in, and it is not taking any water out. Putting the skimmer into the sump is a lot like simply dropping a power head in the sump. It is just moving water. Whether it moves is quickly or slowly, it is still not adding any water to the sump, or removing it.
Imagine if you had a refugium operating and had a power head in your main tank. No matter how powerful that power head is moving water in your main tank (unless of course it is so powerful it is actually pushing water over the side of the tank), the water is still going to rise in the tank as the refugium pump pushes water into the tank. When it goes over the overflow drain, it will go down into the sump.

sh00tist

As long as your skimmer is pumping the water back into the chamber it is sitting in there will be no problem,if the skimmer pumps the water to a seperate chamber you will have a problem. Also if you find after awhile you are getting less and less skimmate run your skimmer every other day or put it on a timer and run it x hours a day,many people run their skimmers on timers and with a big skimmer like that it could ave some $$ when the electric bill comes due. That is a great deal on that skimmer even if you have to buy a new pump for it its a steal.

drpaul84

hey i ahve the g3 on my 75 DT with 30gl sump/fuge works great, i personally would not put it on a timer because its tough fine tuning the skimmer and i wouldnt want to have it on if im not there to tune it or else your gonna be gettin a lot of overflow out of it....and a potential problem/mess , i like to get it tuned perfectly and just leave it alone untill i need to clean it or mess with it. then tune it again once im finished.

matt b

Why would you put it on a timer? One like the OP said it could overflow or something and two it better to leave it running all the time

Originally Posted by coralreefer
http:///forum/post/2593399
but wouldn't it run out of stuff to skim?
its not that it runs out of stuff to skim. waste is always being produced. it just means that your skimmer could be skimming more. IMO, putting a timer on a skimmer would not be a good idea.

ci11337

You celebrate because your tank has been cleared of almost all it's waste. Run it 24/7. It will keep your water in very god shape.

al mc

Originally Posted by ci11337
http:///forum/post/2593570
You celebrate because your tank has been cleared of almost all it's waste. Run it 24/7. It will keep your water in very god shape.
The organic compounds it takes out of the water are constantly being produced....fish excrement, dieing algae, decaying food....run it 24/7.
Some people turn it off for 1-2 hours when they feed their corals phytoplankton to allow for better 'feeding'. I do not.