assasanation

moto757

so I wake up and do my ususal tank check and my emarald crab and my trantrla crab have my sfe eel cut in two and i am like what the so I am able to move the trantrla crab but the emarald is a beast and will not let go. During feeding he is the srtongest and pretty big so I don't know if it was just him(emarald) or both that killed my man I had him since I first started and he looked like a pencil and he was about the size of a magic maker now and longer anyone ever have there crabs do anything like this?

alison

:happyfish Maybe your crabs didn't do it. He could have just died and they were consuming him. Was your eel acting/eating ok? Sorry about your eel, alison

moto757

yeah he was acting fine i thought the same thing but he wasn't acting any different and he just ate the day before no problems i dunno everyone else in the tank is fine too.

moraym

never had an emerald crab mess with any of my eels at all. maybe the other crab, or another tankmate did it.

moto757

i dunno both are pretty nasty the trantrla is about the size of my hand and went after the eel once when he stole some shrimp from him

moto757

he moray do you know anything about jeweled morays i am thinking about getting one at the end of this month to replace my loss

moraym

he moray do you know anything about jeweled morays

The jeweled moray gets to be about two feet long in captivity, and whereas a lot of people say the minimum is 30g, they prefer a bit more room, even though they won't do many laps around your tank. He should be fine in your 55g.
They look brown with gold spots when younger, slowly turn into black with beautiful contrasting white markings. I've found jeweled morays to be fairly hardy eels. They are pretty aggessive, so I wouldn't worry about him becoming a victim to a fish, crustacean, or another eel, rather quite the opposite. Basically anything it can swallow it can go for. Whereas this obviously changes from specimen to specimen, there is the general trend of jeweled morays being very aggressive.
Like other eels, mainly nocturnal, but you can train it to take frozen foods during the day, feed mainly with krill, fish, shrimp, other typical meaty foods.
They're very common in the home aquarium world, look for a nice specimen in your LFS or online that's about 12"-16" at purchase, and make sure the store has the eel feeding.
Dunno what other information you need, this is just what i know from keeping eels for years, if there's anything else you need, I'm sure I can look it up in one of my books.