Assembling an IceCap VHO ballast system

newty

Hello,
Been reading here for a few weeks, and learning quite a bit. I am planning on purchasing an Icecap 660 ballast unit. Is there anything else I need to purchase, such as a wiring harness or single edge caps (if needed, then from Icecap)? I plan on running 4 110 watt bulbs, 2 super actinic and 2 50/50s. As well, I am constructing a canopy at the moment and plan on putting some hammertome metal sheeting on the inside of the canopy, and I am unsure as whether I should screw the end caps to the top of the canopy or to the sides. Does it make a difference with the caps, or shall I need to buy end cap stand offs, as recommended by someone?
Thanks very much, newty.

bang guy

The end-cap stand-offs are convenient IMO. You will defiantely want end-caps, the ballast will come with the wiring harness but usually not a plug.

gregvabch

you're going to need end-caps, stand-offs, and a plug. the item brand new should have the harness and an instruction manual for the different wiring configurations. you can get a grounded plug at the hardware store for cheap. you want to make sure that your end caps are the kind that seal around the bulbs; there's a rubber gasket/o-ring inside the end caps and when you tighten them down it seals out water/salt creep. the vho's in my old canopy are mounted right to the top of it, and i don't have a reflector because the bulbs i am using have 180 degree reflectors built into them. the canopy i'm building i'm incorporating metal halides, so they will be mounted to the top of the canopy with spider reflectors and the two VHO actinics i'll be running with them will be mounted lower, so the VHO's will be mounted on the sides from a protruding 2X2. posted a shot of what my endcaps look like...the standoffs will give you some space to feed your wires into the endcaps from the ballast. if you look at the endcaps, on the feet where you can see the screws are sticking out is where the wires will be inserted. that's why the standoffs will give you more room. HTH

newty

Thanks for the info guys. Oh yeah, one more thing. What is the total length of 48 inch VHO's plus end caps (with or without standoffs)? please take out your tape measure and inform me! i know that NO bulbs are 47 inches wide and standard dual light fixtures are 48.5 inches wide. the overall space inside the canopy to install the lights will be a little over 48.5 inches wide, making it a tight fit if i was using these NO fixtures. i do not want to make my canopy, and when everything is assembled, the complete set is too wide!
Shawn.

hmmhmm

yup it will fit...i just got a used 90gal stand and canopy last night...with an icecap ballast (430) and two 48" lights for 200 bucks!!!...