At a loss...????

tacks

I'm trying to remove green hair algea from my rock. It was once live (4 years ago) but now, obvioulsy dead. I can't get this hair off. I've tried bleaching and it just turned the hair light tan. I've tried boiling it but that didn't work. How else can I get all this hair off without sitting there picking it off with my fingers (130lbs of rock)??? Once my tank is up and running again, will it be safe for algea eaters to eat? Will they even be interested in eating it? My main question is... How do I remove most if not all the hair?

tacks

My bad. I guess I should explain a little more. My tank is currently dry. I'm building it into the wall in my basement. I'm trying to get this "dry", hair covered rock, to look pretty again before I put it back in my tank. What do you guys think of trying to burn it off with a lighter? Bad idea?
I really don't know. Bad stuff from a lighter????

fbm

Yes, bad stuff fire is.
What I would do is.....
1) I would try and firm bristle brush and scrub it off using water only.
2) If I had a pressure washer I would blast it off.
I would never ever use bleach as chlorine is very toxic to fish. I would rinse the heck out of that rock then rinse some more. Then when I finally put it in my tank I would also add a bottle or two of dechlorinator just to be sure.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by fbm
Yes, bad stuff fire is.
What I would do is.....
1) I would try and firm bristle brush and scrub it off using water only.
2) If I had a pressure washer I would blast it off.
I would never ever use bleach as chlorine is very toxic to fish. I would rinse the heck out of that rock then rinse some more. Then when I finally put it in my tank I would also add a bottle or two of dechlorinator just to be sure.
Actually chlorine loses it potency very fast when exposed to air or sunlight and is most likely not even on there anymore. The pressure washing idea sounds good. I am guessing it is not going to be anything your fish are going to want to touch once it is in the water again.

rbrockm1

try resoaking the lr to soften the hair and then try scrubbing then. i hope you get it worked out