AT A LOSS!!!!!!!!

acrylic51

Ok guys.....I'm at a total loss and don't know where or what to actually test for.....I ran into an old friend from years ago, that is still in the hobby......He's been having ongoing problems with the tank for the past 5 years lets say.....He did a complete tear down a bit ago on the tank due to some metal he used in his lighting that corroded and dropped into the overflow box out of sight, and when finally caught the tank was tore apart and pieces removed.
The tank is a 125 gallon. The tank is predrilled and has dual overflows, and years ago I had drilled the tank for him to install a CL system on the tank, which he did install an OceansMotions 4Way.....The tank does have a sand bed, but is a SSB; which he used the Carib Sea live sand. Not sure on the amount of LR currently in the tank, but it isn't packed full of LR, and is landscaped very nicely.....The tank is currently lit by (3) 250W MH's. Current inhabitants of the tank include (1) Yellow Tang, (1) Powder Blue Tang, (1) Blue Chromis, and (1) Clown.
The problem lies in that he has never been able to keep corals or fish for that matter in the tank. He tried corals a bit ago, and when they started dying is when the rust pieces were found in the overflow. Then my friend proceeded to try his hand again at corals with no success. This time he noticed what appeared to be "red bug" infestation the tank eating his corals. He proceeded to use interceptor and the apparent "red bugs" disappeared. This was some time ago, so really can't give you a definite time frame as to when this was.
Anyways yesterday we all met up to go to the big Anniversary Sale down at That Pet Place. My friend decided to give fish and coral a try again.....He purchased a small piece of frogspawn and a Flame angel......We had known that we would be going to the sale well in advance, so my friend setup a quarantine tank next to his main tank just to isolate his new purchases just to be safe.......The water used in the quarantine tank was from his main display tank.......He acclimated his new additions yesterday afternoon, and by roughly 7pm he texted me and advised the Flame had died!!!!!
He always has water made up and ready to go for emergency water changes. He noticed the Flame acting funny and gasping for air. He did a water change on the quarantine tank to try to mitigate any issues......The Frogspawn was also in the same quarantine tank as well. The Frogspawn wasn't doing well either. The water change appeared to have no "positive" response for the little guys, my friend decided to move them to the main tank. The Flame appeared to be a bit better and swimming, but then went downhill as he did in the quarantine tank. The Frogspawn still showing signs of distress as well. The Flame again died roughly 4 hours after purchase. My friend texted me this morning that the Frogspawn was toast this afternoon.
I had my friend run a full set of tests before we left for the sale yesterday. He tested Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Alk, Ca, Copper, Phosphates. The only thing he hasn't tested was PH.....I don't remember the specific numbers, but I know Jerry will chime in here at some point......All numbers were withing range. Alk was a tad low, but I do know he uses a 2 part buffer system from BRS. Jerry is very attentive to his water parameters. He has gone so far as testing source water entering the RO unit, and water exiting the unit, and O TDS on the output water from the RO unit.
He's currently running and MRC1 dual beckett skimmer pushed by a Blueline pump....The skimmer is a beast and isn't a skimmer for the faint at heart.....He also runs the BRS carbon in their reactor. His sump is currently a Rubbermaid plastic container....
This is were were currently at....Some have suggested that the Rubbermaid container is leaching "bad" into the tank. I know a lot of people chime in about using food grade containers for your sump and water change vats......I'm not a real believer in this disclaimer, because everyone that I've seen or heard say so about this type of thing states so, but they never have really stated proof as to what these containers are leaching, and how you go about testing for what might be possibly leaching......????
Our theory at this point is possibly either the plastic sump is leaching bad things into the water, but it obviously isn't something that the standard battery of tests are picking up, or it's the water change vats he's using doing the same as well. Could it also be possible for the LR be leaching contaminates back from the rusting material back into the system? He's tried in the past running poly pads to see if they detect any contaminates, but they too aren't detecting anything........
Looking for advice as to where to start looking or testing.....

shabbajh

Thank you very much Shawn for typing this up for me. As you mentioned I am following up with water test results.
Cal 440
Phos 0
Nitrates 5.0
Copper 0
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0
Alk 6.4
Mag 1350

acrylic51

Should have mentioned water source is well water vs city/public water source. Who makes a chlorine test kit? As you make mention of Chlorine why wouldn't it affect the fish already in the tank that Jerry has and the mushroom?

shabbajh

I have never been able to keep corals in this tank. I've been in this hobby for about 6 years. My previous tank was a 29 gallon in which I was able to keep coral. I am attaching a picture my new coral from yesterday after 24 hours.

nikesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/385231/at-a-loss#post_3377562
Should have mentioned water source is well water vs city/public water source. Who makes a chlorine test kit? As you make mention of Chlorine why wouldn't it affect the fish already in the tank that Jerry has and the mushroom?
if thats the case, then i would almost rule out chlorines and cholramines.
how about testing for other heavy metals?

shabbajh

Since pictures are worth a thousand words...
Full Tank Shot

Sump

Sticker on Sump

Trash Can's for Make-Up Water

Quarantine Tank with dead coral

nikesb

your euphyllia coral looks like the tissue recessed and i would blame that on a low alk. whenever i have had alk problems my lps are the first to show signs of tissue recession.
also wondering why there is detection in ammonia, if its been cycled for a long time, there shouldnt be any at all unless something is causing a major die off in your aquarium. have you checked for stray voltage?

2quills

Hey guys, chlorine kits can be had from any local pool supply place, just FYI.
Curious as to what temp is being maintained at. And possibly what oxygen levels are. Parameters all look fine. pH shouldn't be to bad judging alk and mag levels. Little low on alk so would still be interested to see what pH levels are just out of curriosity.
I'm at a loss for sugguestions but I would maybe try a controled test using a different water source. Maybe set up the quarantine and purchase some water from a lfs or R/O from the supermarket and see if you get the same result with a frag or two.
Jerry, is there anything that you can think of that could be causing some other type of contaminants into the tank? Anything, like cleaning supplies being sprayed around the tank...etc.

shabbajh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeSB http:///forum/thread/385231/at-a-loss#post_3377565
if thats the case, then i would almost rule out chlorines and cholramines.
how about testing for other heavy metals?
What test kit would I need to buy for that, and where would the metals be coming from. It's been about 6 months since I've found the rust and the sand is new. Only thing that is from before is the LR.

shabbajh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeSB http:///forum/thread/385231/at-a-loss#post_3377569
your euphyllia coral looks like the tissue recessed and i would blame that on a low alk. whenever i have had alk problems my lps are the first to show signs of tissue recession.
also wondering why there is detection in ammonia, if its been cycled for a long time, there shouldnt be any at all unless something is causing a major die off in your aquarium. have you checked for stray voltage?
I agree with you, the Ammonia was a shock to me since I never see anything more then zero. I just tested it again and it's zero. Don't know if I had die off yesterday for some reason or it was a just that test.
I haven't tested for stray voltage. I'm not even sure how. Maybe Shawn can help.
As far as low alk, I can bring it up with my BRS alk additive. But it hasn't always been low and I have never been able to keep coral in this tank so I'm thinking I have a bigger problem. Just don't know what it could be. That where the rubbermaid containers came in cause I don't know what else it could be, or even how to test if they are the problem at all.

shabbajh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/385231/at-a-loss#post_3377570
Hey guys, chlorine kits can be had from any local pool supply place, just FYI.
Curious as to what temp is being maintained at. And possibly what oxygen levels are. Parameters all look fine. pH shouldn't be to bad judging alk and mag levels. Little low on alk so would still be interested to see what pH levels are just out of curriosity.
I'm at a loss for sugguestions but I would maybe try a controled test using a different water source. Maybe set up the quarantine and purchase some water from a lfs or R/O from the supermarket and see if you get the same result with a frag or two.
Jerry, is there anything that you can think of that could be causing some other type of contaminants into the tank? Anything, like cleaning supplies being sprayed around the tank...etc.
Tank Temp is 78, I don't know oxygen levels but would think the skimmer would keep it oxygenated plus I have fans blowing across the water surface.
I found a old test kit for PH. It's showing 8.1
No cleaning supplies being sprayed near tank.

nikesb

when heavy metals go into tanks, they rapidly dissolve and get absorbed into the glass, rock, and sand.
while it may not be heavy metals at all consider using polyfilter for awhile.

1guydude

I would check ur aquaium for stray voltage...just google it. Also any oxygen getting to ur tank?? Either by airtubing or a powerhead breaking the water surface? Also do a TDS test....idk where to get it or do it cuz i never have but i know it stands for total dissolved solids!!!!

2quills

I'm leaning away from the heavy metals since youve run the polyfilter and are running carbon in the sytem...pluss you said that you have never been able to keep corals in 6 years?
I honestly would try a controled test at this point with a different water source. At least that way you can be more certain if it's a water quality issue or not. I'm not sure where to get or how and what you would really test for as far as other types of contamination. If you find you are able to keep coral alive in the controled tank for a little while then I''d maybe throw in some rock out of your display and monitor that for a while and see if any changes occure from that point. Testing for stray current in both tanks couldn't hurt I suppose.

acrylic51

The skimmer he's using trust me is more than adequate to super saturate the water with oxygen!!!! Jerry do you have a multimeter? If not you can borrow my big SnapOn meter..... NikeSB I had suggested and also thought about the old tried and tested polyfilter, but Jerry had advised he had done that previously with no changes other than the poly pad becoming brown!!!!

acrylic51

Sorry Jerry for butting in...... You guys discussed trying different water source?? Jerry has lived at 2 different houses, the first was on public water source and now on well water. Jerry what RO/DI unit are you running? I thought I saw a Kent tag yesterday on it? Kent sells different units with different style/type membranes. 1 is for well water sources and the other for chlorinated water. How old is the membrane as well?

nikesb

continue using the polyfilter, it cant hurt using it and it will help remove other stuff as well. im also wondering if the rubbermaid he is using may have been contaminated with something else also previously or from the store.
otherwise the only thing rubbermaid bins are known for leeching is phosphate. and this is tried and true after people put phosphate free ro/di and let them sit in the bin for 3 days and testing the water.

1guydude

I was suggested to use a 5 stage system by Nike but i cant afford one at the moment...im just sayin for wat its worth lol
hmm good luck Jerry, I hope it works out. It must be hard to have an aquarium u put so much effort into and it now work correctly..