AT LAST!!! New Tank Images!!! (Graphics Intensive)

64ivy

Well, after a major fragging and overhaul last spring, a major problem (CS/IO) last summer, a major hurricane, and a major blackout, I am finally at the point with the tank where I can pick up a camera again. Not completely finished yet (who ever is) but for the first time in a while, I can say that I'm happy with it. Below are a few shots of the tank as it is today and a few of its newer inhabitants.

Reeftank Sept. '03

A. Efflorensence Detail

Pink Table

Blue Rimmed Montipora

A. subulata

Orange Montipora Frag

Acropora Corallite Detail

Plum colored M. capricornis

Barnacles in A. solitaryensis

Chromis Bedding Down For The Night in Huge Acropora
These and over 100 more new images will be up in the Fall '03 update of my website, due to go live in about three weeks.

nm reef

As always its great to see pics of your reef...thanks for stopping by and treating us to a view of one of the top notch reefs around!!
It always astounds me every time I look at it...I think you should completely clone it...send the duplicate here...that way if you should ever suffer major losses you'll have a back up sitting out here in New Mexico.:D

the claw

I'm looking forward to the update in three weeks. Your website is one of my favorite to gander at. I will be glad to see the updates. Nice pics. Some of the shots are of the same variety and color phase as the frags I just purchased. I hope they look that nice in a year or two.:)

kreach

Anyone else feel inadequate after seeing those pics? ;)
Seriously though... awsome reef you have there... absolutely stunning. :)

64ivy

Originally posted by Melody
... just wondering what made you decide to go BB.

Long story short: When I was planning the tank back in '96, I was actually wanting to go with a sandbed but I couldn't get a consensus in regards to depth, grain size or... well, anything really. In fact, the only consistant advice I COULD get was if I didn't do it exactly like the particular 'advisor' recommended, I would either eventually kill everything I had or have to tear down the tank and start all over again or both. Not what one wants to hear; especially with a 500 gallon tank. (Obviously, this was waaay before Calfo and Fenner's "Reef Invertebrates" book) So as I had worked (and been really happy) with the Berlin-type system for several years, I just decided to stick with it. Could not have been more happy with my decision although I DO have a refugium with a sandbed now so I guess I have the best of both worlds.

sammystingray

Amazing as always....haven't seen you much here lately, I wondered where you were. For those who haven't seen his site...it is one of the best I have seen. Great tank all around.

64ivy

Originally posted by Melody
64 Ivy ~ Thanks for the reply. I keep hearing that a DSB only has about 5 good years before it crashes. I don't know if that's BS or not but it does have me concerned. Although my 75 is practically a nano compared to yours!! I would dread having to pull all the sand out and rebuild my reef.:( Bare bottom certainly looks good in your tank!!:D

I know of quite a few dsb tanks that have crossed the 5 year mark. But from what I understand (and as my recent problems can attest, I understand very little :) ) these substrates do need work to keep them functioning at optimal levels; especially when they get older.. Unfortunately, some of this work can disrupt the very lives we are trying to protect by violating the Reefkeepers Prime Directive: Tank Stability. Big time Catch-22, that. So my choice is to go with a barebottom main tank and a fishless remote sandbed in the refugium. That way, if I run into any substrate problems, the 'fuge can be disconnected, the problem solved, and we're good to go. I DO like sandbeds though...both for their biological aids and for their asthetics. In fact, many times I'll find myself watching the life in my refugium more often than the life in my reeftank!
sammystingray
: Nothing personal :) . I'm just one of those old school guys who tend to secret myself away when I'm dealing with issues...reef related or otherwise. Been lurking though; seeking advice, laughs, motivation. 'S'all good now. Glad to be back!!!