Atlantic Blue Tang

double

I recently purchased an Atlantic Blue Tang from my local LFS that I have a great relationship with and even though I had read in numerous places that this fish has a moderate tempermant, mine seems to be quite aggressive. In a later conversation with a trusted advisor he stated that it has been his experience that they are very aggressive. I love the fish but I'm very concerned that I will not be able to add the rest of the fish I want to to the tank because of his presence. :notsure:
I'd appreciate anyone who has had experience with these fish to share.
I'm considering returning to the LFS until fully stocked or potentially not putting back in the tank at all. :thinking:
Thanks for any input.

psusocr1

atlantic bluwe tangs will not live very long unless their in a school with 3-5 more atlantic blue tangs. Any reasearch you do on thsi fish always states that,, so my opinion is take him back and get another fish

double

What research source states that they must be kept in groups? Apparently I'm not researching properly, can you point me to some sites for accurate information on tempermant, needs, ext.?
Thanks

misfit

They are generally not too agressive but every fish is different. You must have got one that is.What size tank are we talking about here?

double

it is a 125g, 6'x2'x18". Current inhabitants are a clown, 2 chalk basslets, one lyretail anthias, pygmy angel, and the Blue Tang.
I have a powder brown and a naso on hold but I'm worried about putting them in this tank with the aggression level of the Blue tang. So I'm trying to figure out how to procede.
Thanks

misfit

I have a naso ,powder blue and the atlantic blue and a yellow tang in a 210 with no problems but those three tangs in a 125.IMO I wouldnt do it, they all get really big and if the blue is already agressive, it will only get worse with other big tangs in a too small tank.

nm reef

Just some general info on Atlantic Blue Tangs:
"Atlantic Blue Tang - Acanthurus coeruleus
Also known as: Blue Tang
Maximum Size: the Acanthurus coeruleus grows up to 10 inches.
General Size Specifications: The small size will come to you generally 1 to 2 inches; the medium generally 3 to 4 inches; the large generally 5 to 6 inches.
Minimum Tank Size: The Atlantic Blue Tang prefers a tank of at least 100 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
Diet: The Acanthurus coeruleus is a herbivore and likes to eat Dried Seaweed (best), marine algae, mysid shrimp, Spirulina, Romaine Lettuce (blanched) , fresh seaweed, and other meaty treats.
Level of Care: The Atlantic Blue Tang is a medium maintenance fish.
Behavior: The Atlantic Blue Tang may act peacefully toward other fish.
Hardiness: This is a hardy fish.
Water Conditions: Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).
Range: the Caribbean.
General Notes: The Atlantic Blue Tang; though not as dazzlingly beautiful as the other "Blue Tangs" makes a fine aquarium addition. As juveniles their coloration is yellow with a blue ring around the eye. This coloration gives way as an adult to several shades of blue depending on the mood of the fish. Best kept singly and usually well-behaved in larger aquariums, this fish may become biligerent in smaller tanks. If underfed may nip large-polyped stony corals. Some adults may have a yellow tail."
As a rule they are reported to be peaceful speices but can become aggressive in small systems......maybe you got the bully of the litter....

I'd also dispute the advice that they need to be kept in schools....from what I've seen that doesn't appear to be sound advice at all.

double

NM, that is the same information I found when researching the ABT so I guess I feel a little better that I'm accessing decent information before making purchases. The problem seems to be that I have gotten a very aggressive personality. Over the weekend I had a purple firefish perish from what I believe had to be stress from avoiding the Blue Tang.
Unfortunately it seems as though if I want the fish within the tank to have a good environment and to add the fish I would like to the tank I will have to get rid of the Blue.
But it sure is beautiful fish

psusocr1

search one of my posts on here abotu them, i think i had 4-5 replies on hwo they should be kept in schools or they dont do well??

double

Misfit, I agree that my tank is too small for all three. Thanks for the reminder and Unfortunately the powder brown that I had on hold died at the LFS

I do like to give my business to the LFS when their price is competitive. The problem that I seem to be having is that they don't have the fish I want available as my tank progresses in the order that I need to put them in.
I know that setting up a quarantine tank is a good idea, what about using a quarantine tank as a kind of staging tank for putting the fish in the tank in the proper order? I have avoided setting up a quarantine tank because I generally watch the fish I'm looking to purchase for at least a few weeks at the LFS by asking them to hold the fish. Now the problem with my staging tank theory is that I can't afford another big tank and I'd be concerned about keeping a larger fish like the Blue Tang in a small tank for an extended period of time. :notsure:
Thoughts on this issue are appreciated.

misfit

Double
You should have a QT tank, VERY VALUABLE.Maybe you could ask your LFS to get the fish that you want one by one when you are ready for them.Our LFS has always worked with us like that.Watching them at the LFS for a couple weeks is O.K. but Qt is way better.At the LFS they could be healthy and in the time that they hang out there, they could pick up something, in your Qt, you know they are not bing exposed to anything.I have also known people to look at a fish and say "he looks good" and put them in their tanks and 2 days later ick everywhere!!!! :scared: >Sometimes they look goodbut you cant see what they are carring.You dont want that headache once you have a main tank full of fish.As for the QT, mine is a 40 gal. I wouldnt advise one too small ,but any is better than none and if you are worried about big fish in a QT for long ,go with a bigger one,cause they will get stressed in a small one.
Wendy