atlantic carpet

scubataibi

how many watts are needed 2 keep an atlantic carpet anenome? does it need to eat anything else, are water pumps neccesary? R there other types of anemone that percula clown like?

T

thomas712

Quite frankly an atlantic carpet anemone is more likely to host a shrimp than it will a clownfish since there are no clownfish in its natrual enviroment, it may also eat the clowns that it does encounter. Its also a cooler temp anemone. Simply put bad choice IMO, especally in a 10 or 29 gallon tank.
Perhaps if you run down your system for me I could make a better choice for you.
Live rock, sand, lighting, any powerheads going, filtration. Give me a clue and I'll make a suggestion.
Thomas

scubataibi

im goin 2 have i think 22lb of live rock, normal or live sand, does it matter? a 150 gph filter, but the light that comes w/ that is only 15 watts(do u no where i can get a 18'' flouresent light that has more wattage?) im goin 2 use a rio 800 water pump with 115 volts, is a percula clown good w/ a florida condi anemone?

T

thomas712

With the lighting you have absolutly no anemone should be in your tank. The light just simply isnt there. They are photosynthetic animals and simply must have the proper available lighting, this means that it would take VHO, or PC at the least to keep one alive.
The Florida Condi is also an atlantic anemone, cooler water and doesn't know what a clownfish is. Clowns come from Pacific waters and you are looking at atlantic anemones. Check the second sticky at the top of this forum for regular hosting anemones and there most common clownfish.
Thomas

scubataibi

i found out that bubble tip anemone and percula clowns are from the same oceans(indian), how many watts are needed because im looking at lights now, is 22lb of lr ok?

T

thomas712

Entacmaea quadricolor, Bulb, Bubble-Tip or Maroon Anemone, RBTA - Tentacles inflated at tips, with white band and pink tip (usually). Red or pink form called Rose Anemone. Attaches to hard surface."In nature hosts Maroon and Bluestrip clownfishes. In aquarium will also host Bubble tip Anemones are the natural host for many popular clownfish species including clarki, tomato, saddleback, skunk, melanopus, bicinctus, ephippium, rubrocinctus, and maroon clowns ocassionally ocellaris, percula, and other clownfish in captivity."
Can be propagated in captivity. The best choice for hobbyist aquariums.
Clownfishs by Wilkerson states:
Amphiprion akindynos, Barrier reef Clownfish
A. Allardi, Allard's Clownfish
A. bicinctus, Two-Band clownfish
A. chrysopterus, Orange-fin Clownfish
A. ephippium, Red Saddleback Clownfish
A. frenautus, Tomato Clownfish
A. mcculloghi McCulloch's Clownfish
A. Rubrocinctus, Australian Clownfish
a. tricinctus, Three-band Clownfish
Premnas biaculeatus, Maroon Clownfish
In captivity (but not in nature) it also hosts:
A. ocellaris, Ocellaris or False Percula Clownfish.
You should have an amount of liverock that an E.Quad can climb onto in order to reach more light if it so chooses. This might mean about 2/3 up the water column.
A 55 gallon aquarium would offer a much better home and stability for a Bubble tip anemone.
Thomas

scubataibi

i have the lighting problem solved, i found a 96 watt hood that will fit my tank, filter ,lr, and power head, and clown fish already solved, what types of anemone would be good w/ percula, should i just get a maroon? would u prefer anemone crabs?

scubataibi

found out its gonna cost $316.84 for live rock, air stones, an air pump, tubing, a filter, and lights, but thats not so bad, and all thats left is sand, fish, and salt water, so im almost through the process.

T

thomas712

Air stones?
You want to run that by me seperatly so I can take a look at it? I might be able to save you some money. Are we talking about at the LFS prices?
Once again air stones? what for?
You don't have an undergravel filter do you?
Thomas

scubataibi

airstones for the air to transfer into the tank out of the tubing, this is online price, but theres a hood that(if it fits my tank) can lower the price to $223.83(the lighting is 96 watts, is that good?)

T

thomas712

Originally posted by scubataibi
airstones for the air to transfer into the tank out of the tubing,

:confused: You have me stumped on this, no idea what your talking about. The only reason I can see for any airstone in a saltwater application is for a protien skimmer or to aerate a water change.
I'll get back with you on the lighting.

scubataibi

nvrmind about the lighting, i found a 96 watt lighting system, but air stones are to keep the tube thats connected to thte air pump from floating 2 the top

T

thomas712

Depends on its density, also the more live rock you put in the less water you will have.

scubataibi

ya, if anythin, im getting my live rock of swf, because its already cured, and getting it anywhere else means 2-4 weeks of scrubbing and 50% water changes, but swf has a pakage thats 20-25 lb. so i hope i get less than 25

T

thomas712

Yes, but from my experience they really tend to irritate the BTA's.