Attaching Frogspawn to Liverock

maxsmart

:mad: I cannot get the stupid frogspawn to stay put! I tried wedging it into my liverock, I had it in pretty snug twice but as soon as it starts to open up , the current catches it (it's only mild current) and it takes a tumble. What can I use/do to keep the stupid thing in place?

maxsmart

None of the stores around here have, or have heard of, such product. Maybe I'll go to the dollar store and get some plastic cable ties.
Any other suggestions?

promisetbg

Loctite brand super glue GEL. It comes in a tall bottle with squeeze things on it's side..and it won't clog like others. Great glue....make sure it is gel.

dmitry

Plastic ties and crazy glue gel sound like a pretty good combination. Because the coral will start sliming the glue alone may not work on its own, but assisted by ties it just migh twork out!

maxsmart

I got some vinyl ties (same material as the hoses, figured it's safest). Took a while, but I tied the thing sideways to a loop in the liverock. Let's see if it recovers from the stress. I'll try to find that glue, but what's the point if you say it will release itself from the glue? I'm thinking about just banking of the hopes the thing will grow tentacles so long it will cover up the plastic tie.

dmitry

If the coral attaches itself to the rock you can cut off the tie. I'm not sure if it can do it sideways. You might try putting a small piece of rock right under its root and perhaps very lightly gluing that rock sideways to the bigger rock the coral is tied to. This should keep everyone more or less in place. And if it attaches through its root you can break off that rock and voila!

Frogspawn will not attach to a rock since it is a hard skeleton coral. There are some glues out there on other sites that work for what you want to do. Try Zap Gel, IMHO it works the best. If you want to cement rock together so it isn't always falling try using Auquastik epoxy...haven't had any rock work fall in a long time.

dmitry

Frogspawn!! Duh! I didn't see that! No, Frogspawns have hard skeleton bodies; you can easily glue it to a rock with crazy glue (gel is easier to work with.) Or just stick it into a hole in a rock. I have mine perched on fiji branches.

maxsmart

Originally Posted by Dmitry
Frogspawn!! Duh! I didn't see that! No, Frogspawns have hard skeleton bodies; you can easily glue it to a rock with crazy glue (gel is easier to work with.) Or just stick it into a hole in a rock. I have mine perched on fiji branches.
That's what I was doing, jamming it between finger coral pieces. But every time it opened up too far, the current would pull it loose, and it goes crashing to the bottom. Is it OK on its side? I strapped it to the liverock with a vinyl tie. It is opened, but not as far as yesterday (before the crashes)

dmitry

Is it actually now lying on its side? It may not the best position for it. Why can't you tie it vertically??
Also, if it's been falling down for a while it might need a few days to start opening fully again.

laddy

3" piece of white pvc pipe (heck you can usually find some of this stuff lying around in your garage or neighbors garage--ask the neighbor before you grab it though

Some aqaurium grade epoxy--most online sites sell this.
Pack the pipe with epoxy and slide frogspawn into the pipe, then place under the rock, or in the sand. Works most of the time.

maxsmart

Is it actually now lying on its side? It may not the best position for it. Why can't you tie it vertically??
Also, if it's been falling down for a while it might need a few days to start opening fully again.
I tried to tie it vertically, it kept slipping and falling over. It is a 2-header, so I put the tie between the heads, but it wouldn't keep standing. It was like keeping a flagpole upright by strapping a line to the top - need 3-dimensional support to keep it from falling over.

dmitry

So glue the skeleton into a PVC pipe as suggested above or into a hole in a small rock. (I say small rock so that you can move it around if you want to.)

maxsmart

So glue the skeleton into a PVC pipe as suggested above or into a hole in a small rock. (I say small rock so that you can move it around if you want to.)
Do you do this underwater, or is it OK to take the frogspawn into the air for a little while?

laddy

When I attached mine to pvc pipe I removed it from the tank (by placing the cup into the tank and putting the frogspawn in the cup underwater) then just left the heads in the cup while I worked on the skelatal base.