Attack of the Green Hair Algae

spnohio

I need some help! I have a 75 gallon with sup and fuge that has been up and running going on almost two years. I had very good coralline algae (purplish algae growth on live rocks) and now it seems like the purple is converting to green hair algae.
As of Feb 13 these were my measurements after about a 16 gallon water change.
30 ppt, 1.023 SG, Temp. 77.2, PH was 8.0, Ammonia was 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, Phosphate .1, ca2 300pm - which is way low.
I just replaced my lights in December.
I have PBTang, Flame Angel, Shrimp Goby, and Orange Spotted Goby, various clean up crew and a Fire Shrimp.
I also have Purple Mushroom Corals, a Purple Tipped Anemome, Colt Coral and a Elegance Coral (Which is doing great).
I also have a two power heads, one is a Hydro Koralia #2 600 GPH and a Aqua Tech 170 GPH
Am I running my lights too long? Do I have enough flow? Is there a good fish that will eat the algae? (Although that may be a temporary solution) what is causing my green hair algae? Also is there a shrimp that will eat antipasti? I have a few springing up?
Any help would be great!

trainfever

Phosphates are the main cause for hair algae so I would check that again. Are you using tap water? Cant really suggest how much to cut back on your lights since you didnt say how much you run them although cutting back lighting can always help to rid algae.

flower

Originally Posted by trainfever
http:///forum/post/3240322
Phosphates are the main cause for hair algae so I would check that again. Are you using tap water? Cant really suggest how much to cut back on your lights since you didnt say how much you run them although cutting back lighting can always help to rid algae.
+1
Testing won't help, the hair algae is feeding on the phosphates, and you will get a very low reading.
Try A a product called Phosphate-E, always use RO for water changes and top offs. Then put a phosphate pad in the filter system. Clean as much of the HA off by hand as you can...OUTSIDE the tank so you don't have spores released. That means removing your rocks and scrubbing them in saltwater.
A UV light will also keep HA down, the spores are destroyed by the UV and it can't spread.

flower

Originally Posted by spnohio
http:///forum/post/3240331
I use a mixture of DI water and tap water, as when I used all DI water my PH was too low.

Tap is the problem...use an alkalinity buffer in your top off DI water and it will stabilize your PH.

flower

Originally Posted by spnohio
http:///forum/post/3240335
I will retest my phophates...not that it may make any difference but I live in town.

It is a wasted test...the HA will give a low reading on the results. Water changes, or phosphate remover...I would do both. You have to stop using tap water.

trainfever

If you live in town, Im assuming you live in a larger city which has a water filtration system. That is your problem. The chemicals used in cleaning the water are putting phosphates in it. Soap or most cleaners contain phosphates.
That is one of the drawbacks of using DI water, you have to buffer the water. If you dont, then most if not all your corals will suffer.

bizzmoneyb

the tap water is most likely your problem. so until you cut that you'll probably have to deal with it.
how often do you do water changes? change more, more often.
mexican turbo snails are supposed to be great for algae as well.

xcali1985

I'm currently battling hair algae and about two weeks ago finally started to get the upper hand on it. What I did one was refused to feed the tank anything. Inserted chaeto into my fuge with a PC light for the best growth.
Within 24 hours my fuge was full of film algae. I let it grow as it battled the more serious hair algae for nutrients. Within a weeks hair algae in my tank was turning brown and I was able to simply suck it up with a feeding syringe.
To aide the process I added a lawnmower blenny. Turthfully he dosent seem to like going after the established patches but he went after new ones quickly. He won't get rid of it but he will keep it at a manageable level.
You don't need to get crazy with a PC light for the sump. I used a clip on desk light with a screw in 50/50.