Attack of the Killer Blenny

neosoulman

I purchased a small blue hippo tang this weekend (aka 'dory' to my 2 yo). Within 5 mintues of introducing her into the tank, after acclimating etc, my red lipped blenny went after her! I thought maybe it was just an intial rude 'hello and welcome to the neighborhood', but for the next hour every time the new tang would venture out, the blenny would bite her. She then hovered way at the top corner of the tank for and rested there for the next hour.
I then called my LFS, they suggested to turn out the lights, give the tang a rest, and the blenny would then goto sleep in his cave, which is exactly what happened.
The next morning, as soon as lights went on, again, Blenny started going after it. Now the fish has bite marks on either side of her. After trying to net the fish, I finally captured her and brought her back to the LFS, albiet alive but wounded.
So my question is - Blennies are not thought to be agressive right? Anyone have a similiar issue with a blenny or another fish attacking a new addition to the tank?
I'm wondering if it has to do with the small size of the fish, she was way smaller than the blenny. I do also have 2 clowns that are smaller than the blenny but the clowns were there first so the blenny does not mess with them. Those are the only 3 fish I have.
I'm concerned now that I should not get any new fish that are smaller than my blenny.
Any advice appreciated.

kdfrosty

I recently added a Flame Angel to my tank. The other inhabitants were a Bicolor Blenny and a Yellow Watchman Goby.
The Flame Angel is nearly twice the size of the Blenny, but the Blenny showed lots of agression for the first day. I moved the LR around and that helped a lot. It basically caused the Blenny to have to re-establish his territory. You might give that a try.

just&ash

oh yeah, My Yellow tailed Damsel usually keeps to her self and when I got a lawnmower Blenny she attaked him I put the damsel in solitude for a day but then she stopped eating so I let the Damsel out and when she got out she started to look for the blenny an yeah so we put him in Justins 20 gal and he like's it there so much more.

granny

Yes, the bi color Blenny is aggressive. My reef book says they need a large tank with lots of caves and they will terrorize any other fish that they can get away with it.
It seems there are peaceful and aggresive fish in all groups. Look at damsels-from the two spot to the Chromis and wrasses etc.
It is always a good idea to research any fish thoroughly before adding it to your tank
Either buy lager fish in the future or get rid of the blenny!!
Make sure you have lots of rock and caves for hiding in.