Attention all tang experts

dogstar

I will agree that a single Yellow and Purple shoud not be kept as the only tangs in a 90g, and with others not for long if small when aquired.....as far as tangs in reefs and larger tanks.....I have 7 that I have had for 5 years so far...started in a 120g then a 180g and now a 150g for the last year and always in a reef system......they all do fine together.....just say your peace and except that others may not agree.....please....

kjord97

I have 3 tangs in my tank, yellow, sailfin, and hippo, they are about 2 years old and are doing great. The tank is 125 gal. I see on any forum, everyone slams each other, everyone thinks they are tang police. People will place what they want in a tank, yes there are some rules to applie, same body shape and aggression.
Quote, Dogstar '' just say you peace and execpt that others may not agree..'' well said.

pontius

Originally Posted by Reefstar22
eh, either way. my set up still makes yours look like crap.

you haven't seen my setup, so don't know how you'd make that assessment
but I'll be sure to post pics either today or tomorrow

reefstar22

Originally Posted by Pontius
you haven't seen my setup, so don't know how you'd make that assessment
but I'll be sure to post pics either today or tomorrow

Post some, My setup retail is wroth over $15k I doubt your gonna have something better.

hot883

Ninjamini; so... I guess you have your answer. No to 2 tangs in a 90. Gee was that so hard. He said, she said crap is always what ruins good threads. Go with the answers that you recieved, make an informed decision and live on. Those that post their experience and have actual pictures of their setups is whom you need to pay attention to. Just my $.03

ninjamini

Originally Posted by hot883
Ninjamini; so... I guess you have your answer. No to 2 tangs in a 90. Gee was that so hard. He said, she said crap is always what ruins good threads. Go with the answers that you recieved, make an informed decision and live on. Those that post their experience and have actual pictures of their setups is whom you need to pay attention to. Just my $.03
hot, Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one. Take it all with a grain of salt.
I realize that unlike a dog or cat which is a domesticated animal these are wild creatures. We take them and cage them for our own amusement. We as a industry kill more creatures than we keep. Sad i know. But we all support that industry by having tanks. So lets not flame the person who does not know as much as we do or has a differing butt hole(opinion).
O'yea I hate these back and forth arguments of my friend and I did...
If there is any real study
done on something then come and quote them. Lets not put down each other based on opinion. Hey "real study" is not my friend has done it for the last 12 months and it works for him.

reckler

I agree with HOT833 and NINJAMINI, I have learned alot of things with this hobby the hard way. I didn't know anything when I first started and I can assure you that I'm am not a master aquarist now either. Some things on here I will listen too and some I don't. I concider every bit of information I get and make up my own mind on the proper way I THINK IT SHOULD BE DONE. If I have to sacrifice something I try to make it the cheepest as possible incase the worst happens. I have lost a few items,but I have learned the truth from myself and not from someones word on their experiences. I believe that is the best learning process for me.It has payed off for me and I have increased my tank and animals atleast 2 fold. good luck on your decision.

pontius

Post some, My setup retail is wroth over $15k I doubt your gonna have something better.

I'm done with this argument. you're WAYYY full of it. I HOPE you paid $15,000 for the 125 gallon tank. your tall tales are just getting taller and taller.
to the original poster, sorry your thread was hi-jacked. but the majority of answers you got were right on.....a purple and yellow are most likely not going to work well together in a 90 and the purple should go in last in whatever size tank you put them in.

ninjamini

to the original poster, sorry your thread was hi-jacked. but the majority of answers you got were right on.....a purple and yellow are most likely not going to work well together in a 90 and the purple should go in last in whatever size tank you put them in.
Yea I got that from post #2 on this thread. It reaffirmed what I thought. Was that last after all the fish or just another tang?
Originally Posted by hot883

...I would not do it. They will more than likely fight to the death in such a small space.

reefstar22

I'm done with this argument. you're WAYYY full of it. I HOPE you paid $15,000 for the 125 gallon tank. your tall tales are just getting taller and taller.

Look online how much a hamilton retro fit lighting kit costs...and in the bulbs, find how much a custom made maple stand and top cost, then look for clear for life acrylc tank costs...then and a ecosystem to it with mud..then add the pump.... your well over 15k ...i buy quality because I know what im doing. I dont cheap out ..and keep tangs in a tiny tank or assume I know everything, I have read and studied these topics for years. Turn your hobby into a job then you can speak.

pontius

Originally Posted by ninjamini
Yea I got that from post #2 on this thread. It reaffirmed what I thought. Was that last after all the fish or just another tang?
here's the downlow on the purple tang. make of it what you will. may not be as bad with non-tang fish though.....
"This beautiful Red Sea fish was once rare and extravagantly priced in the aquarium world but is now readily available. The most belligerent member of the zebrasoma genus, it will fight fiercely with members of its own speicies and other tangs. Should be the last fish introduced into the community tank, unless housed with large, equally belligerent species. Best kept as the sole surgeonfish in a home aquarium, unless in an extra-large tank. Must be fed a proper herbivorous diet to retain color and prevent head and lateral line erosion."

pontius

reefstar, if you want to continue with the argument (that you've already lost), give me your email.

dogstar

Im not posting to argue with the arguers. So please dont argue with me....

Im just posting my own experiances......I have kept my Purple with other tangs of the same genus for years....There is no aggression from any of them other than a typical ' love tap ' now and then that will come from even the most peacefull species at times.....
Many fish have an expected reputation but every fish and system is different and not all act as expected in every system.....IMO, the Scopas is the most aggresive of the genus but its just MY opinion and Im intitled to it.....this sucks.....

xdave

I'm gonna afree with Ninjamini, I have a friend that has had an Oscar, now 8", and a red comet feeder goldfish together in a 15 gallon for many years. This sort of thing hardly is proof positive that it will ever work for anyone else.
Also, I've been alive for 49 years, this doesn't prove I've ever been happy or healthy.
IMHO a purple and a yellow are likely
to chase eachother a lot in a 90. Those tangs by their tails are like razor sharp can openers. It only takes one good hit.

xdave

@ Dogstar, I guess every tank is different like you said. Scopas is the only tang I ever had that didn't get aggressive. :hilarious This thread should have been a yes no maybe poll

ukcats

Reefstar22 said:
again, im not saying it cant be done, im saying its a bad idea. I can lock 3 kids in a bedroom for a month, doesn't mean its a healthy idea.
I've tried it once...the similiar shaped ones fought. My son got ick, daughter got HLLE, it was ugly. I was only keeping them in there until I upgraded to a larger room.!!! LOL.

Just kidding of course!

reefstar22

UKCATS said:
again, im not saying it cant be done, im saying its a bad idea. I can lock 3 kids in a bedroom for a month, doesn't mean its a healthy idea.
I've tried it once...the similiar shaped ones fought. My son got ick, daughter got HLLE, it was ugly. I was only keeping them in there until I upgraded to a larger room.!!! LOL.

Just kidding of course!

thats amazing.

hahaha