Attention Newbies

jlem

Originally posted by gailkaitschuck
AFTER the helpful clerk tells him he only has to wait 2 weeks after he sets his tank up to start adding fish, he goes off to help some other hapless customer.
I manage to grab this poor would-be saltwater tank owner and encourage him to come to this forum (plus several others) and read up as much as he can before he plunks the first dollar down on a system.
Hopefully he listens.
Gail

Did you hear the whole conversation between the clerk and the custumer.? Was the custumer planning on using cycled rock or was he starting out with dead rock? Did the clerk mean one or two small fish after two weeks or 10 or twelve fish? The clerk may have been telling the custumer good advice. A tank set up from scratch very well could have fish in as little as a week or less if a matured biological filtration source was used from an established system ( cured rock or sand ). I am not saying that the clerk was right. I am just wondering what type of set up the custumer was looking at.

krowleey

Originally posted by waterfaller1
Tanks should NOT be cycled with live fish!A fresh dead shrimp from your grocery store will kickstart your cycle.Sorry,but I think it's cruel to use damsels as cycle fish..why put living creatures through all that stress?I did'nt know better when I started,and took the LFS' advice.All but one died{they told me to use 7!!:eek: }

yeah but after you have a damsel beating on your prized fish you might think its not so cruel heh :mad: :D

j21kickster

Originally posted by krowleey
yeah but after you have a damsel beating on your prized fish you might think its not so cruel heh :mad: :D

But there is a flipside- if you knew about the fish you were buying- and its temperment- that whole situation would have been avoided from the start
;)

jp0379

I still have all but one of my damsels that I started with, and none of 'em have ever caused a problem. This proves what was posted above, everyone has different experiences, which is why reading this board and ones like it are so helpful!

jlem

Depending on the size of tank cycling with a fish or two is not very cruel. You will have a very slow cycle if you use a small fish or two in a 55 and at least your tank would have some movement during the cycle.

squidd

I cycled my first tank with a Damsel and a few months later when I put a Lion fish in there He Ate Him...Best of both worlds...:D
(Just Kidding,I was Bummed about the Damsel)
The plain truth is though...MOST New Hobbyists are NOT going to "read and research" everything about the hobby BEFORE they drop their first buck...
It won't be till after they made a "mistake" or two and things are in peril that they will start to look for info/answers...(Damn Human Nature)
Whats important (to me anyway) is to Welcome them, make them feel comfortable, and gain their TRUST so that they Will accept the "advice" given here over their LFS.
Often a 'newbie" in their first post will say something like..."I'm so excited about my tank,I started my tank with 7 damsels a week ago and now two are dead and rest don't look so good, what can I do?"....
And the first three posts read..."Take those fish back, How can you be so Cruel, Don't you know anything about THE CYCLE???
"
Of Course Not!! But do you think they will respond well to that "type/tone" of advice??
We need to remember where WE were, not so long ago... and "season" our answers to gain their trust and temper our emotions and responses to make this board a clear, reasonable, thorough, and "inviting" learning experience.
You all have so much to offer in experience and advice and there is a wealth of information and a "depth" of involvement far beyond what I thought I'd be getting into when "I" first started my tank.
Let's keep that "excitement" going and "encourage" the new member to continue to learn and grow with confidence and knowledge in a "nurturing" atmosphere where we can all learn from each other.
:cool:

squidd

On the other hand...I knew a farmer who took a pocket full of suger cubes out to the field with him when he plowed.."That's for when the Donkey does good:) "...
Of course when he got out to the field he picked up a 2X4 and "Wacked" the Donkey over the head with it..." But FIRST you got to get his attention"...
:D :D :D

atf88

Originally posted by Squidd
On the other hand...I knew a farmer who took a pocket full of suger cubes out to the field with him when he plowed.."That's for when the Donkey does good:) "...
Of course when he got out to the field he picked up a 2X4 and "Wacked" the Donkey over the head with it..." But FIRST you got to get his attention"...
:D :D :D

what? explain that...it made no sence :p

stargazer

ex. lfs sold me neon gobi tore my sand bed apart melody and bang guy set me straight they were enginear gobis very healthy had to remove all the rock in the 125 to get them out and return to lfs thanks melody and bang guy