ATTENTION ***REALLY BIG**** Tank Owners

offshore80

Hey don't forget the 200 lb guy standing on a chair reaching into the tank. All his weight is transfered to the 4 1" square legs sending all the weight into 4 small concentrated spots next to the tank. Then two other people just hanging out... Oh, and don't forget the forty gallon sump, Equipment, stand & canopy. For piece of mind add the support under the house. Don't even try it on the second floor.

zap800

well to cure the four feet creating a small space to distribute the wieght all you need is use a flat bottom on your stand. ie cut the legs off or place paving bricks under the legs and cut new baseboard molding for around the bottom to compinsate for the added hieght.
oh yeah i forgot...........bring me the holly hand grenade.

ukcats

She's a witch...
How do you know she's a witch?
She turned me into a newt!!!
She turned you into a newt?
Well....I got better.
:hilarious

tervman

Getting back to the original point of this whole thread (thanks ricecookie), I will probably err to the side of caution (and extreme paranoia), and put some additional supports under the floor. With the $$$ I would have tied up in a tank this size, what's a few more bucks along the way!
And, for good measure...
The Castle Arrrgh....our quest is at an end!!!!

dicemanj

I am not an enginer, but it would seem that you are making sure the house has better support than the tank stand. I would check how the stand is built, and make sure that your house has atleast that much support.

tervman

Originally posted by dicemanj
I am not an enginer, but it would seem that you are making sure the house has better support than the tank stand. I would check how the stand is built, and make sure that your house has atleast that much support.

Good point, dice.
I would plan to purchase a stand in conjunction with the tank. My assumption will be that a stand that is rated for an X hundred gallon tank will actually hold that much weight.
However, I don't know how many, if any, home builders will rate their floors for the amount of weight that same X hundred gallon tank would exert on the small amount of space on which it sits in the house.

dicemanj

Here is another thought. When I built my deck with a hot tub on it, 480 gallon tub, plus the shell, filters, pumps, and 6-8 people. I went to Lowes and they could tell me what size of boards to use. I would think they could do the same for a fish tank. Give them the size of the tank(not gallons, but dimensions) and the weight and they could tell you what kind of support you need, then check this back to your house.
The adding of OSB boards to the floor joists makes the most sense to me. If you wanted could you also add another 2x4 to the 2x8 to make it a 2x12 and add the OSB to this. Would that make it stronger? Just a thought, i have no idea if that would work or not.

tervman

Originally posted by zap800
cut it the width of you joices. it should be 2x10's. so you should have 9 1/2 " x 8' strips.
glue and screw the plywood on the length of the beams in question. use a one high one low about 4-6" apart method. like a zig-zag.

My question:
Due to my being mechanically inept, I just can't visualize this. After you cut the osb, will you have nine 1/2"x8' boards, or one board that is 9-1/2" by 8'? Also, I'm getting lost in the zig-zag pattern.... :nervous:
Are there any pics of this anywhere?

jackman

Originally posted by interj
Will the tank weigh more than your bath tub filled up? What about with you and your wife in it??
Not trying to get personal, just a thought, did you re-inforce for your tub?

the framer should know to double up the floor joist under tile and tub areas. that is a Given...
Jackman

donmgicwon

Originally posted by Jackman
the framer should know to double up the floor joist under tile and tub areas. that is a Given...
Jackman

I never heard of needing to do that for standard sized tubs (especially with I-joist floor construction).:notsure:
I'm no architect but I do have a fair amount of code/construction knowledge.

zap800

you will have one 9 1/2" x 8' osb plank. set on the side of your floor joice. so you will inturn make a joice a true 2"x 8'. a zig zag pattern is meant by putting one screw in low then going about 4 inches and putting one screw in high. get it? high, low, high, low and so on. the reason it has to be 9 1/2 inches is new 2x10's are really only 9 1/2x1 1/2". but the main fastening device is the glue and the screws are just the clamping pressure till it sets. you go zig zag so there is an even amount of pressure on all the surface. this will make your floor into a modifided glue lam beam. another point is the gentlemen that has the 850 gal tank uses glue lam beams for his suport structure. so if good enough for 850 gal. its good for a 125.
and so they are saved by the dragon because the animator dies