ATTN Fanker or other T-5 people

bojik

What is the life expectacy difference between NO and HO T-5's? HO's are what 12-18 months correct?
I'm somewhat considering a pair of twin bulb (I think)NO fixtures. (same as i mentioned before in the last thread i started on this matter) They come with a 10k and a true actinic each. The bulbs are 24" 24 watt each. They are not listed as NO or HO wich are they? They also have a high pollished reflector. Would the totall of 96 watts be enough for just softies or some stonies as well in a 20L ?
Only reason i'm looking at this option is that the fixtures will be ~45 ea. my cost at a LFS I help all the time. (somewhat close to his cost) And I could swap the bulbs around to have a ballast per spectrum. However they need fans, simple enough. Which will make it possible to have a more natural lighting pattern dusk/dawn/etc lighting settings. At a lower cost to me. Also later the housings and ballasts can be canibalized and upgraded with tek single bulb reflectors later.

fanker

well are the lights u are talking about coralife? what i would do is for a cheap nice light setuf for t-5 would go with helios, they are the ballast, bulb and reflector all in 1, and they are low wattage, u can get NO or HO and they are nice very bright, i had 4 28w helios over my 55g and was able keep lps on the sand bed.

bojik

Originally Posted by fanker
well are the lights u are talking about coralife? what i would do is for a cheap nice light setuf for t-5 would go with helios, they are the ballast, bulb and reflector all in 1, and they are low wattage, u can get NO or HO and they are nice very bright, i had 4 28w helios over my 55g and was able keep lps on the sand bed.
Yea its a coralife I forget the item # though. It comes in a good aluminum housing.
I've had issues with the helios their bulbs burn out to fast. The one i had lasted only ~5-6 months (least the one i had) and they would cost me ~ the same as this set up. Though i didn't use the Ho type. I didn't know they made that kind of fixture in HO. I've had better luck with the Nova satelite fixtures. (easier to change the bulbs too) I currently have 3 of those on my 15. No reflectors on either though and the nova type are splash guarded NO with a switch on each housing. And can be 'piggy backed'. They cost ~25-30 for either the Helios or Nova type. Do you have a link for the reflector type helios? I have not seen that particular one.
I do appreciate your advise and ideas though :)

fanker

ive never used coralife but my lfs uses them and they seen to do pretty good, if u want good quality i would try icecap, or tek ritros, but there pretty pricy. im shure the coralife is pretty good and if u said u were going to use 96w of them than u should be fine to keep alot more tham softies. ya but helios came out with a better quality light and now they make ho and i guess vho.

bojik

Helios does now? hmmm
The one i bought i installed the day i got it to upgrade the lights it burned out ~3 weeks ago. I bought naother nova to replace it. The helios i procured. same price as the nova's BUT its their "disposable" unit.
And the bulbs in that coralife are 24 watt for 24 inch bulbs. They probably HO's? From the fixtures i've looked online that where HO [tek and a few others] the same length they had 24 watt bulbs.
I'm not sure if thats the standard watt for HO or not... I've not seen NO bulbs that length to judge it.

bojik

I found an image of the fixture's underside.

Heres its spec sheet.[finally] Looks like its a pair of 14 watt bulbs each NOT 24 watt a bulb as previously assumed. :( so it would be ~56 watts total. That would make ~2.8 watts a gallon. (not sure on recomended watts a gallon any more). What would that supply enough light to? (i know no clams and the like)
*Link Removed*

fanker

dont go by wpg, that light should be enough to keep softies, and if there only 14w than they are NO, but if u get 2 of them than u should be ok for lps

bojik

Originally Posted by fanker
dont go by wpg, that light should be enough to keep softies, and if there only 14w than they are NO, but if u get 2 of them than u should be ok for lps
Thanks :) thats what i needed to know. I may only go with 1-2 lower light 9as far as they go) LPS SPS. Finaly have these lights figured out.
And bulbs appear to be ~$9 each much cheaper than ~$22 for vho's
. NO's supposed to have the same life expectancy as HO's?
You know which brand of small cooling fans are good reliable units? I think thats the last bit i need to sort out.
I do appreciate the help. *sends gift card for starbucks* j/k

bojik

Just got the fixtures in today. I was wrong they are 18 watt bulbs. Got em both for $105 (with sales tax) at my cost. Helps to work under the table for credit and such :joy:
so that makes a total of 72 watts in total. Better than previously thought. still far from clam and stony light correct?
EDIT: If i didn't help out and what not around there figure they would have cost me ~$160-$170

tx reef

They have those coralife fixtures at my LFS for $45 each.
I bought 2 of them for a 20 gallon I set up. Never tried coral under them, though.