ATTN: Skimmerless Reefers!

ogredawg

How many people here are not running skimmers in their reef tanks? How long have you had your tank? and what kind of filtration do you have?

viper_930

I've had my frag tank skimmerless for about a month or maybe more and everything looks good. I have all my favorite corals in there, including many SPS corals. But I do use a 50 micron filter bag on the overflow and that definitely helps a lot. I would never try going skimmerless without the fine filter bag on my tank with all my valuable corals, especially with SPS. For filtration I just use that filter bag, carbon, live rock in the sump, and weekly 15% water changes. The bag gets cleaned every 3-4 days or so.

whitey_028

Im skimmerless right now on my 185 reef tank but i have a huge refegium underneath full of manggroves and cheato and miricle mud and live rock and i keep up on my water changes... I have no mechanical filtration (skimmers,UV sterilizers,drippers) and is done all naturally and the only time i had a problem is when i didnt do my water change for like a month after my first 10% water change in a month i was back running normally.

laddy

Originally Posted by ogredawg
How many people here are not running skimmers in their reef tanks? How long have you had your tank? and what kind of filtration do you have?
3 yrs on a ten gallon, 1 year on a 55g.....why do you ask?

sinaloa213

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
I've had my frag tank skimmerless for about a month or maybe more and everything looks good. I have all my favorite corals in there, including many SPS corals. But I do use a 50 micron filter bag on the overflow and that definitely helps a lot. I would never try going skimmerless without the fine filter bag on my tank with all my valuable corals, especially with SPS. For filtration I just use that filter bag, carbon, live rock in the sump, and weekly 15% water changes. The bag gets cleaned every 3-4 days or so.

that is soo awesome u gotta tell me the specs of this set up im interested in setting up a frag tank

viper_930

The tank itself is 45x13x10 (custom) ~ 20 gallons
2x150 watt DE Phoenix 14k bulbs powered by two PFO magnetic ballasts
The return is a mag drive 9.5 and a SCWD which splits into four returns in the back of the tank.
The SCWD cut down a lot more flow than I thought, so I added a maxijet 900 in the corner.
This tank was meant to be my frag tank and display (sorta) at the same time, so I spent a bit more money on it that the usual frag tank.

bojik

I have a 5 gal hex i've not run a skimmer on in over a year now. Its far more stable than my larger 15 gal odly.... Running slightly modified stock filtration on this rena 5 hex. Its a FOWLR (with inverts). Though its got a couple titan sized bristle worms...

ogredawg

I'm asking because when I had my 10 gallon I didn't have a skimmer and all my softies (I only have softies) did better than my 25 gallon now. And I've heard from a lot of people before that they didn't use skimmers also and their tank did well. So maybe I'll just sell my current skimmer if I don't really need it, especially if I'm just going to keep softies. I don't think I'm ever gonna go sps, because I really don't want to spend more money on lights and chiller (that's if I go MH). I currently have a fluval 204 filter as well, I guess I'll just stay with that running carbon 24/7 like what I did with my 10 gallon before.
Here's my tank right now...

bonebrake

Looks good!

I have heard the same thing about softies doing better in unskimmed tanks. I cannot vouch for it though because I have never owned a skimmer.
:joy:

r22wink

I have a 120 Gallon Reef. My Skimmer pump went out about 3-4 months ago. And havent replaced yet. Corals look good and stuff is growing!! Knock on Wood!! ;)

bojik

Skimming also removes some of the nutrients many softies feed on. If you do waterchanges enough to keep paramiteres in check when needed. Skimmers are not an absolute nescisitiy for some systems. Simple rule of thumb. IF it aint broke don't fix it ;)

ogredawg

ok so i took out my skimmer today and bought some aqua pure activated carbon for my fluval 204. I put the carbon in a filter media sock and rinsed it for few minutes. Now my tank is cloudy, is this normal?

reef diver

I thot softies feed on dissolved organic matter ie the same stuff that the skimmer pulls out. ITs slightly off topic, but does anyone have any reccomendation as to how to frag a pipe organ, I got an accidental frag when 6 of the stalks broke during a snail rain (litterally), and I placed them in the rocks , and now they are like 20 polyps. I guessed i could do it the same way? Sorry dont mean to hijack. Nice tank ogredawg

anoepheli

I've heard of using a chemical oxidizer to consume the organic wastes in a tank. Dangerous stuff, but it can substitute and it's easy to neutralize if you use too much

ogredawg

Ok, just an update on my tank.
So I downgraded to 20 gallons shortly after my post and everything was doing great for 2 months. Then I decided to upgrade my lighting because I wanted an anemone. One of my coral didn't respond well and ended up dying. I guess corals can throw your water para off too like fish when they die. So I just did water changes but still my parameters were pretty off and everything else started dying. So I had a 50 gallon that I was planning to set up later on. Well that didn't happen, I transfered everything I have from my 20g to the 50 with new water.
My point is, you really don't need a skimmer if your tank is in great shape. But if something dies in your tank, it's a harder job for you to fix things if you don't have a skimmer. I know this because my friend has a skimmer and same thing happened to him. Actually he had more die off than I did, and all he did was change his water twice and everything went back to normal.
Here's an updated pic of my tank by the way.
This was my 20g (before the crash)

And here's my 50g now (after the crash)...

I'm going to slow down on corals and only buy maybe one every other month or something.