Attn....SQWD users

banshee

.....or anyone.....
My Wavemaker Pro died. I was thinking about going the SQWD route and I was looking for opinions on how well these things work. Also, any good ideas on how many, how to set it/them up, and any do's or don'ts regarding the use of them. I have a 210 gallon reef tank that is drilled on each side and a sump with one return pump. Any and all ideas and info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jpawson

I have had my SCWD up and running on my 120gal for a few weeks now. Its a good little device for the money. They could have made the connections for this thing a lot better though. There is only a single barb on the connection of the scwd so it took me about 10 tries get it working without leaks. I love what it does, but I do not trust it. If they make one with better connections I will jump on it in a second.

maryc137

I have both a Scwd and a Seaswirl in my tank. I really like the seaswirl much better, although it is more money. Well worth the $ in my opinion.

banshee

ok....good info....thanks! But, what's a seaswirl? Do you have a link? I tried to search, but couldn't find any good info on it. Also, I also saw something called Wave2k. Anyone heard of this?

jpawson

banshee- I think the seaswirls are quality...they better be for that price. Just an FYI, The seaswirls will use your existing pump for circulation. You will not be adding to the turnover rate. In my situation, I wanted to add additional circulation so the closed loop with the SCWD was a better option for me.
Costs:
2 one inch sea swirls will run 318.00(new)
SCWD with good external pump and plumbing- 220.00

banshee

jpawson - ok...I was thinking about the oscillating powerheads that stopped working after about a couple of months. Thanks guys, great info. Keep it coming....I like options! :)

overanalyzer

I like the SCWD a lot and used zip ties to secure the tubing around the one barb - though I would love to see it threaded!

overanalyzer

That looks like a pretty simple device to build .... which is saying a lot coming from me!! I would think that instead of one big pulsing wall of water two smaller units in the corners would work as well ....
Hmmm interesting - entire family sick and I have some gears and motorized parts laying around .....
The more I see all these water movement options the more I am thinking that some of these should be built into canopies and tank backs .....