Auction Live Rock

zeromus-x

Just wanted to give a heads-up... I've been trying to get some more LR lately and sold something through PayPal, so I figured I'd just use the money to get something for my tank. Decided to try some live rock. There's a user on there selling "SALTWATER LIVE ROCK" at $45 per 25-30 lbs. Even after shipping it ended up being well under $3 a pound, compared to locally at $10.99 a pound. I thought it was weird that the auction didn't mention Fiji, Tonga, etc, but it was cheap enough to experiment and the person's feedback rating was pretty much all good stuff about it.
It just arrived today. Packed very, very well... but ugly! Sure there's coraline algae on it like the user mentioned, but the pieces themselves look almost brick-like. There's not much roundness to them at all (one of them moreso than the other two). The most mysterious thing though is their weight. They're heavy. *Heavy.* The 25-30 pound shipment came to me as three rocks, each about 8-10". They feel as if they're made of lead. I have a lot of Marshall Island rock in mine, which is incredibly not dense, so I was imaging 30 pounds of LR to be a lot.
I'll post some pictures here as soon as Sprint quits their "currently under maintenance" message when I try to upload one from my phone. I just wanted to mention this in case anyone else is looking for LR on that auction site. It might be what some people are looking for, or you might want to avoid it, depending on taste!
If you've ever ordered any from that auction site, feel free to post pictures and let us know if you're satisfied with it!

teresaq1

I ordered some about 4 months ago, and it was great. walt smith figi, for 1.99 lb plus shipping, which came out to about 3 to 4 a lb. I ordered 10lbs, and got 5 or 6 nice pieces.

chinnyr

Sounds like the guy cured some base rock himself.As with all things on ----,they are hit or miss.I always make sure to check feedback profiles to see how others responded to thier items.Thanks for sharing your experience too!I guess the only thing good about buying rock from a store is that you can hand pick what you want.Sometimes the lfs will order a box for you at a cheaper price if you ask.