Auto Dept. Moonlights

mailman

While doing my water change today I decided to build some moonlights. I thought I would use the plans on earlier threads and whip up a set. Unfortunately Radio Shack had already closed. Went wandering around Target Auto Dept. and found a set of 12 volt led accent lights in tubes for car ********. (Just happened to be a nice set of blue ones, not sure of the nm but about the same color as my actinic) 12 leds in each tube about 9" long. Best part was they were marked down from $14 to $8. Took them home wired them to a 9 volt gameboy adapter and instant moonlight! Attatched them to the back of the strip light. They spotlight a little so tommorrow I may experiment with placing them in the strip and bouncing off the reflector. Total cost was less than $10.00 and about three minutes labor! Will try to post some pics tommorrow.

broncofish

If you sand the bulb itself so it is no longer smooth and round, then it will no longer spotlight, it is sort of an instant diffuser.

mailman

Do you mean sand the tube the leds are in or the leds themselves? Bouncing them works but lowers the light level more than I want.

broncofish

The led's on my 90g I sanded the bulb down, but on my 29g(where I have the exact same target set up), I sanded the outside tube