auto-top off ideas

daveb

These Float Switches are inexpensive, and are therefore perfect for a redundant system. I use them for several applications. I have two for my auto top off. One that turns the pump on when sump level drops and needs water, and one that will turn it off if sump level is too high just in case for some reason the first one sticks with the circuit closed and the pump adding water to the sump. I now have a 20 gallon top off water tank, so this is vital. 20 gallons of freshwater to my system would overflow it, and be very bad on salinity...
I also use two of these same float switches for my main sump pump. one for a low level shut off, and one for a high level shut off. My system will not let the main pump run dry or allow it to keep pumping when over flowing the sump..
Also, I use one of these in my 5 gallon skimmer collection tank. I have had my skimmer go crazy a couple of times, with wet skimmate, and within an hour almost overflow the 5 gallon collection tank. So, now, if my skimmate collection tank fills to three gallons, the skimmer pump shuts off, and no more danger of overflow there.... At 6 bucks a switch, there is no reason to not have everything covered, and covered redundantly..... for 60 bucks worth of float switches, you can save yourself hundreds of dollars by preventing numerous failures that can be very very costly.....