auto top off question

ac

I have an auto top off system that consist of a float switch in the sump. The float has stuck open(thus topping off) twice in the last week. The float seems to move freely when I test it manually. Is there a more reliable way to sense the water level in the sump?:confused:

reefnut

A float valve! What are you running on the float switch? One reason they will stick is if the pump/ powerhead has a larger amp rating than the switch.

frogz

its 50 bucks but its worth every penny, i have a mag drive 2
on my tsunami and it works fine

Does the float switch send power to the pump when the sump gets low? Once the level is back to normal the pump shuts off. Does that sound right? Thanks.

frogz

THE TSUNAMI WORKS THE SAME WAY BUT IT WORKS ON AIR PRESSURE FROM THE SENSOR IN THE TANK WHEN IT SENSES
A LOW WATER CONDITION IT TURS THE PUMP ON

bigmac

Do you have any snails in the sump? I've used the same float switch for 5 years and its never failed except for a snal that found its way into the sump (my fault)
The key is to use two float switches and a pump that wont pump so fast. A dosing pump on two switches is the way to go.
For now I'd put a needle valve on the end of the output line. Slow the feed rate down to a little faster then evaporation. The pump will run longer but if the switch fails it wont pump so fast.

kevin j

I use the tsunami and it was worth every penny!!!!! I have a Gen-x hooked up to it and I think it is one of the best items I have ever bought next to my euro-reef of course:D
kevin