auto top off

tmgpp

i have a lot of evaporation from my 12 gal nano cube. how would i go about making a auto top off for it.

renogaw

melev not melv
all the auto top off schematics i can find are way to friggin confusing, so if you find a good one let me know. I may end up going to the big auction site and buying one from there.

rdonnelly7

Originally Posted by renogaw
melev not melv
all the auto top off schematics i can find are way to friggin confusing, so if you find a good one let me know. I may end up going to the big auction site and buying one from there.
I am actually looking to come up with something a little simpler myself. I hear what you are saying. If I do come up something because I have some ideas, I will shoot an email with the design. I am currently looking for a better device for the switch.

renogaw

I got a wireing schematic from someone on a different website, but it's all greek to me. I don't know if i'll get in trouble for posting the pic, but here it is:

rdonnelly7

Although well displayed, I still think that is too complicated, or at least too involved. I want a simple float mechanism that connects a circuit, water pump kicks in, and then disconnects the circuit. Thanks for the info. As soon as I find what I am looking for I will post here.

nigerian

I'm also looking to set up a simple auto top off system. Gravity sounds easiest, but I don't want an ugly gallon of water on the top of my dt.

tmgpp

if i use gravity i am worried that with so little water that i will add to much fresh water when i put the thing up, is that a valid concern?

sharkbait9

here you go, you can not get any easier then this. It's called the tsunami A.T.O. (auto top off)
They work like a charm and make it so much easier to use.
I still like the plug and play items.
I bought mine from the big bidding site. The only other piece of equipment you will needs is a small pump or power head.
I use the aqua lifter pump. It plugs into the ATO. I have one hose in my fresh water reservoir ( wrapping paper Tupperware container) and the other end into the ATO.
Take and appreciate the K.I.S.S method, simplicity at its finest.

wattsupdoc

Here's mine, it works on the drip method. I have this on both my tanks and it works pretty good. Set it so it drips a little slower than the evaporation rate and manually topp off whatever get's missed whenever needed. I actually added another T and mini ball valve end in order to just open it up and let it catch up. Without haveng to adjust the drip rate.
Third pic is a drawing of my last one, gravity fed. It worked good also.
I like simplicity!

nigerian

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
Here's mine, it works on the drip method. I have this on both my tanks and it works pretty good. Set it so it drips a little slower than the evaporation rate and manually topp off whatever get's missed whenever needed. I actually added another T and mini ball valve end in order to just open it up and let it catch up. Without haveng to adjust the drip rate.
Third pic is a drawing of my last one, gravity fed. It worked good also.
I like simplicity!
Can you post a pic of it with the bottle on your other tank?

wattsupdoc

Dont have a very good one but heres one. It was in my fuge. I like the new one better. The water level is up as my return pump was off at the time.