auto top off

oceansidefish

i love it! make sure you read the directions for the two modes, I would go bigger if you can still only lasts me about a day. Its a 2,5 rectangle from pet store co

rgaynor81

I Was Thinking About Going With Mode A Example 2 Which Is One Sensor In Sump And None In The Reserve Tank. Is That The Way Yours Is ?

V

vince-1961

Here's my D.I.Y. topoff. Materials consist of an ordinary extension cord, some PVC, a float switch, about two feet of 1/4" ID tubing (shown in pics) and the smallest pump I could find. The float switch will get fried if the voltage spike of the pump turning on and off exceeds 50 watts. This small pump won't do that, but it's only got 24" of head. The float switch is wired to one line of the extension cord. I tried to install a 9 volt single pole relay switch from Radio Shack ($8), but on both tries my fat fingers were too clumsy to make solid connections between the wires and the tiny poles on the relay switch.
The float switch cost $1 to purchase (and $8 to ship...what a ripoff!)
Attachment 214959
Attachment 214960
My tank evaporates about two gallons per day. The blue container holds a week's worth of water.
Attachment 214961
Attachment 214962
The black tube with the green control valve comes from the calcium reactor.

saltygerman

Originally Posted by vince-1961
http:///forum/post/2866942
Here's my D.I.Y. topoff. Materials consist of an ordinary extension cord, some PVC, a float switch, about two feet of 1/4" ID tubing (shown in pics) and the smallest pump I could find. The float switch will get fried if the voltage spike of the pump turning on and off exceeds 50 watts. This small pump won't do that, but it's only got 24" of head. The float switch is wired to one line of the extension cord. I tried to install a 9 volt single pole relay switch from Radio Shack ($8), but on both tries my fat fingers were too clumsy to make solid connections between the wires and the tiny poles on the relay switch.
The float switch cost $1 to purchase (and $8 to ship...what a ripoff!)
Attachment 214959
Attachment 214960
My tank evaporates about two gallons per day. The blue container holds a week's worth of water.
Attachment 214961
Attachment 214962
The black tube with the green control valve comes from the calcium reactor.
Mine is almost exact setup..Just added 2nd float switch to turn off unit if water gets low in resevoir...keep from burning up pump. Plus I used a 12 vdc transformer to toggle relay... and fountain pump to top off wet dry.

chilwil84

if you use an aqualifter pump it will not burn up if it runs dry. i just hooked up a reef fanatic ato. i put both floats in the sump and set it so that both have to hit the sensor before the pump kicks on

saltygerman

Originally Posted by chilwil84
http:///forum/post/2867275
if you use an aqualifter pump it will not burn up if it runs dry. i just hooked up a reef fanatic ato. i put both floats in the sump and set it so that both have to hit the sensor before the pump kicks on
Well I used a little Hydor pump my LFS gave me...I wasn't sure and seing that I travel alot for work didn't wanna take any chances.

chilwil84

i didnt do it for that reason it was a pump i had and realized it when i looked at my cpr return and it was sucking air out constantly and no water(never get one they rely on a cheap pump and will overflow your tank when the pump failures) just figured would point some people in a good direction

saltygerman

Originally Posted by chilwil84
http:///forum/post/2867299
i didnt do it for that reason it was a pump i had and realized it when i looked at my cpr return and it was sucking air out constantly and no water(never get one they rely on a cheap pump and will overflow your tank when the pump failures) just figured would point some people in a good direction
Not saying my way is the best,,,There are several solutions to every problem. But if my pump fails it won't overflow tank..It just will fail to top-of my wet dry return portion. But this would take a couple of days before water would evap enough to get below return pump intake level.

reefkprz

here is my auto top off. just a float switch by kent marine I build the stand for it out of acrylic and eggcrate, the holding tank is in a closet and is higher than the sump so i start a siphon in the line

[hr]
it into the back of the float and when the water level drops it refills simple as pie.

saltygerman

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2867584
here is my auto top off. just a float switch by kent marine I build the stand for it out of acrylic and eggcrate, the holding tank is in a closet and is higher than the sump so i start a siphon in the line

[hr]
it into the back of the float and when the water level drops it refills simple as pie.
I tried to have my res Higher but once top-off pump shuts off siphon keeps water running into sump....How did you solve this problem?

sthlts

you have to put a hole in the tube just before it leaves your reserve bucket to brake the syphin

reefkprz

Originally Posted by saltygerman
http:///forum/post/2867589
I tried to have my res Higher but once top-off pump shuts off siphon keeps water running into sump....How did you solve this problem?
no pump. the mechanical switch closes the line when the waterlevel rises. this is a siphon based top off.