Avoiding the Flood!

spencka

Just to begin, first let me say, I have not yet set up my 55 gal., but am very close. I've ordered the following equipment:
Aqua C Remora Pro w/Mag 3 Protein Skimmer
Emperor 400 GPH Power Filter
MaxiJer 900 (2 ea.) + 1 more for mixing water
I've been doing some reading (mostly from this site, but also some books), and I'm a bit nervous about flooding my Condo. Particularly since I rent!
Could someone please tell me what I should do to minimize the risk of a flood or overflow?
I appreciate your advice!
SP

thegrog

A stable, level stand and tank is the best bet.
also, make sure the clamps on your remora pump are tight so it does not slip off!

spencka

So you don't think I s/b concerned with the skimmer or pump failing? All equipment is brand new, with the exception of the tank - it was purchased used (2 years old).

bret61081

hey Spencka....I am in the same boat you are. I live on the beach so the power is always going off and on...I have a 55G with a sealife systems wet/dry. I thoguht for sure one day when I got home from work and no one had any power, that my tank would have flooded, but nope....nothing at all...I was very impressed. Good luck and don't forget the UPS(Battery backup) and battery powered airpump for hurricane season coming up!

spencka

Could you please describe your wet/dry - dimensions, what's in it (mechanicals, ls, lr), etc.? How big is your tank?
Thanks! Just trying to get an idea if I should forego using the HOB filter & skimmer or go with something else.
Thanks!
SP

bret61081

I have a 55G as well...currently FOWLR. the W/D is a SeaLife systems 75. I left the bioballs that came with it, added teh Chemipure and left the 2nd sponge. as par as pumps it in, I have a rio 2100 to return the water to the tank. its been up and running sinceJan and is working fine. In there also I have my pump that goes to my UV serilizer.

bchdfldian

Just drill a hole in the pipe for your return tube an inch or so below the water line. this way your sump can't be drained in to your tank resulting in a flood. (that inch will be drained up until the hole which will just suck in air)
Your sump should not ever be completely full. maybe only like 1/5 full. That way if the power goes out all the water in the pipe going from the tank to the sump will have room to drain and fill the sump - without overflowing.
Make sure you have a STURDY STAND - i hate the metal ones. They just feel wobbly when i grab the tank and move it back and forth. Some sleepy person/drunk/little kid could easily knock it over.
Invest in a nice sturdy wooden one. They can be the same price as a nice protein skimmer. Don't get one with a small base, get one with a base the same size (if not larger than) the base of your tank.

spencka

As mentioned in the first post, I do have some HOB equipment coming - but I'm now having second thoughts about leaks or failures.
Now I'm reconsidering whether I should go with a sump or refugium or wet/dry. My problem is, I don't know exactly what these things are? What is the difference? Are they all the same thing, just different names?
:notsure:
My 55 is undrilled. I do intend to go with LS & LR - at the very least, a minimum of 55 lbs. each, maybe more depending on how it looks. I currently have PC's with 220 Watts with 10,000K daylight and blue actintic lights. With time I'll upgrade to MH's.
Thanks!
SP

birdy

You actually have a bigger chance of leaks and floods with a sump system IMO. If you are very worried about it stick with your HOB stuff, sounds like you have the right equipment to do it.

scubadoo

ALL HOT equipment could potentially fail and leak. If you do not use a surface skimmer box on the remora the pump will sit well below the surface. Potentially all the water up to the bottom of the pump could leak out of the skimmer. If using a surface skimmer only the water that would overflow to the box could potetially leak out of the skimmer. The non-skimmer box hook-up has the potential of causing a much bigger flood than a sump as the pump will sit lower then any overflow. IMO...the dangers of sump are minimized if you do not use a skimmer/overflow box and have a builtin overflow with drilled tank. Even this COULD fail meaning ALL the water could run to the sump...and BIG flood.
You can never really reduce you flood exposure to zero...as tank stuctures can fail...causing all your water to leak/run out of the tank if the failure is low or on the bottom. You can only minimize/reduce risk.
In order to minimize risk check all the seals on the tank since it is used. Make sure the ******** beads or in good shape and do not show signs of tear/wear. Test fill the tank in a safe place for leaks. Allow to sit for a few days to make sure it is water tight. If you suspect the seals are worn, cut the old ******** silicone and reseal with aquarium safe silicone. Once cured fill again and test for leaks.
Once you are convinced the tank is structurally sound...you are ready to go. When setting the tank up make sure it is level. Tanks that are unlevel can cause stress on joints/seams and can lead to structure failure or leaks.
NEVER move the tank with water in it..this can potentially cause the stucture to weaken and lead to trouble.
Test all you equipment for leaks before installing. Monitor them after they are installed to make sure they are functioning properly. If you are worried leave the tank away from the wall an place some narrow small trash cans under the hot equipment. It will catch a few gallons or most of the water before it hits the carpet/flooring. Buy some potted plants that are tall and place them on the side of the tank to hide the cans from sight.
IMO your biggest risk is the used tank...make sure to test for leaks first. Make sure you check for very samll cracks in the galss near the seams...and other places. Through time and based on pressure these can run and major structure failure/flood will occur.

macjm

Originally Posted by bchdFLdian
Just drill a hole in the pipe for your return tube an inch or so below the water line. this way your sump can't be drained in to your tank resulting in a flood. (that inch will be drained up until the hole which will just suck in air)
Your sump should not ever be completely full. maybe only like 1/5 full. That way if the power goes out all the water in the pipe going from the tank to the sump will have room to drain and fill the sump - without overflowing.
Make sure you have a STURDY STAND - i hate the metal ones. They just feel wobbly when i grab the tank and move it back and forth. Some sleepy person/drunk/little kid could easily knock it over.
Invest in a nice sturdy wooden one. They can be the same price as a nice protein skimmer. Don't get one with a small base, get one with a base the same size (if not larger than) the base of your tank.

I use this method, and it works every time.