AvP

moraym

Read both AvP books, they were sooooo much better than the movie. The books were incredible, and I was hoping they would follow them when making the movie. But since the book rights are owned by a separate company, i figured they wouldn't want to have to pay for them, and they didn't. Too bad.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
SPOILER BELOW
MorayM, you didn't see the similarity between this and AVP book Prey? Mind you it has been a long time since I read that book, but as I remember the aliens were being sent by the Predators to a planet so they could hunt them down. [In the movie they are bred on earth to hunt them down.] In the book colonists were basically just inadvertently in the middle “of the hunt”. [In the movie the humans exploring the pyramid just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.] The lead human in the book was a lady who ends up teaming with a Predator to fight against the aliens. [Movie: Lady teams up with P and they both have dreadlocks! :D] Am I wrong? To me, they used the same theme here, and even the Predator looked like the one in the book, more-so than the original films.
I'm not saying this movie was great, because it wasn't, but to me it certainly rang a bell to compare to the book: Prey.
The fact that they downgraded the rating to PG13 tells me they were more interested in getting as many kids to pay for this movie then they were interested in making a good movie. The truth to the matter, kids go to R movies even if their parents have to take them. Believe me I took my son to many horror/si-fi R movies----he is a real fan like me. And all horror/si-fi movies worth anything must be R. The topic of horror and science fiction "monsters" can not be effectively geared toward a 12 yr old population. Sorry kids.
Anyway, that pyramid in the movie was really cool. I read that it was actually built for the movie and that it is quite massive.
It was not just computer graphics.
The movie was too short, the camera work during fight scenes was moving all over the place making the viewer concentrate on trying to figure out what was happening rather than allowing the viewer to get scared over what was happening. There were some good scenes but they happened occasionally in between what was mostly a mundane kiddy flick. The sets were pretty good, but plot was below standard. It was not engaging at all. No one sat on the edge of their seats holding their breath with fear or anticipation. Instead, we all just popped corn in our mouth and sipped syrupy pop.
Alien and Predator are adult topics and it is up to parents to decide if their kids should see this adult topic. This topic should not have been reduced to kiddy level and I know that any under-age horror/si-fi fan worth their salt as a fan of terror flicks will agree. The quality of the 80s is definitely over, unfortunately. It is pretty pathetic that great horror/si-fi movie reenactments are reduced to matinee quality. It reminds me of Godzilla movies.
Oh well.

mr.derp!

AvP didnt live up to my expectations but it was still an awesome movie, and the fact that 2 of the preds died within like 5 minutes of each other, was just horrible. but the movie was still good. and the alien that came out of the pred at the end is called a predalien. its from the AVP2 video game. i hope they make a sequal.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget to include SPOILER when posting info about movie. Some folks don't want to know what happened in advance of seeing the movie.

moraym

Beth, whereas their were similarities between the two, they never purchased the rights, so they couldn't use the story. And that is the best part of the book. The story and characterization were so much better. And there were many more battles and other such action sequences that would've improved the movie.
The movie could've used the characterization and improvement in story. I know it's an action movie, but it was too short, and by adding some more storyline it would've been a lot better. I found myself not caring for anyone really, and hoped they'd all die (I like high body counts:D). The book just had a lot more details that were essential to understanding the story, and had a lot more action sequences.
As for the sequel, it was pretty obvious with that ending, there's a sequel.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Books are always better than movies, and I alway root for the big P! I wish they would stop killing them in every movie! :D

chandler4

Thanx for the advice. I just bought the second one of the series, hunters planet, at the book store, and its turning out nicely. hard to follow the story, but its still pretty good. Kinda going backwards here, reading the second one b4 the first, but they didnt have the first, and I couldnt wait. Thanx for the recommendation though!!!

chandler4

Which book is that? The one that is based on the movie, or the book prey, or hunters planet?? Theyre pretty good, but if u dont know wat the characters really look like, then ud be lost.