[B]Need Lighting Help[/B]

brandi1215

Hello All-
I am thinking about buying this lighting system T5ho t5-ho 3ft / 4LAMP Aquarium REEF lighting. I was wondering if anyone has used this and if so would they recommend this for my 65 Gallon. Ireally want something that will help my corals grow. Thanks In Advance-Brandi

wattsupdoc

Hi Brandi

Welcome to the boards. Most will agree the T5's are a good way to go. I have an 8 lamp T5 on my 65 and keep all kinds of critters, clam, sps,softies you name it. Be sure when you buy one it is an HO not just T5. You should be looking at 39 watt bulbs(156 watts for the 4 lamper)It should have individual reflectors and at least 2 switches and cords. So you can control half the lights at a time. Pay for a better unit and you'll be happy. Tek makes a good fixture and are popular. If you have a choice of lamps or need to buy lamps seperatly, stay away from the cheaper brands. The better brand bulbs are ATI, UV, Geissman, and probably a couple others I cant recall. Right now. I personally like the look of half 10,000k and half super actinic.Currently running UV's but ATI's are supposed to be a tad better.
With the T5HO's it is very important to have a quality fixture with individual reflectors, and use quality bulbs. It DOES make a BIG difference.

brandi1215

Thanks-here is what the item listing states:
Accommodates ultra efficient, high output T-5 lamps Included 2 x 39w 10000k blue and 2 x 39w 10000k white
Two switches and 1 power-cords Cool operation and NO noise
36"L x 7"W x 2.5" high
What do you think?

ameno

I agree with Doc the t-5 is a good way to go on lighting, but make sure it has individual reflectures, and HO, even then the reflectors is what makes the light par, so a good individual reflector can make a world of difference, and most fixtures have not gotten there yet, the two that are rated at the top are tek, and aquactincs, aquactincs so far has the best reflectors, and that's what I got, but right after the purchase they had a major price increase and I feel they have priced thereself out of the market, I would look at the tek fixture, for the price and quality I feel they would be the best for lighting at this time.

wangotango

While Aquactinics just raised their prices, they're still miles below ATI. If you don't mind spending the money ATI is the way to go, but Aquactinics would be second IMO. TEK is another great alternative with reasonable prices.
As mentioned, stick with Geisemann, ATI, and UVL lamps.
-Justin

ameno

Originally Posted by WangoTango
While Aquactinics just raised their prices, they're still miles below ATI. If you don't mind spending the money ATI is the way to go, but Aquactinics would be second IMO. TEK is another great alternative with reasonable prices.
As mentioned, stick with Geisemann, ATI, and UVL lamps.
-Justin
guess I haven't heard much on ATI, I'll have to check that out

derekc

i have that fixture only mine is 4 ft and the bulbs are Katana T5 HO bulbs 10000K Daylight and the others are 10000K Hopar blue...Are the Blue actually actinic or just blue bulbs?

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by derekc
i have that fixture only mine is 4 ft and the bulbs are Katana T5 HO bulbs 10000K Daylight and the others are 10000K Hopar blue...Are the Blue actually actinic or just blue bulbs?
I havent heard of these bulbs yet. Nor Hopar blue.
I do know that I read an article where someone with a PAR meter measured the PAR on various lamps by different manufacturers and different spectums. The top par producers of those results were ATI, UVL,Geiseman, and if I remember right GE's 10,000k. But GE only had the one that produced effectivly enough to be considered. There was nominal differences in the first three comparing same similar color temps. All the others stagered downward to a dramatic difference. Some of which were really lowsey producers. I would select only from those first three if it were me. Otherwise your just shootin' your own foot. My 8X39 watt fixture came with catalina (I think it was) lamps. After about 6 mos. I had 2 go out. I switched to the UVL lamps and suffered a mild bleaching of a few things. The visible
light was much more intense.

brandi1215

I founf out that the lights I have been inquiring about have only 1 reflector, should I get this fixture or not. It's for my 65, I am looking to grow my current corals, would the lighting do the trick.
Corals-Kenya,Zoo's,Ric's,shroom's plate coral,star poly's,pipe organ

derekc

i have this fixture and yes it does only have 1 large reflector ....and the light seems to shine just as bright onto the floor....but i dk it looks fine too me and my mushrooms and colt corals seem to love it...but take an experts advise..:D:D

reefraff

For what you are growing the flat reflector is probably fine. Just don't assume you can raise the same critters people with the high end fixtures can. Those reflectors make a huge difference.