Baby Fish

fla. keys

OK,
Maybe I was asleep in Biology 101, but at the risk of asking a dumb question ....
If lets say I have like 6 or so damsel fish in my tank for about a year, What are the chances that I will get some babies? Of corse they all could be male or all female, I can't tell, but one would think that after a year or so, I might see offspring.
Mind you that is not why they are in the tank. Just curious?

ebeckels

many fish will change sexes depending on what is around them...ie: if they start off life as a boy they could end life as a girl. (pretty neat) But of course, as tang said...it is VERY difficult to get fish to breed in captivity...these are not guppys! :)

biggdriver

Also one of the main roadblocks is the size of the tanks. I read in a issue of Seascope how to raise and --- flame angels.It was in a 125 with actinics used to create a sunup sundown effect along with a wavemaker rippling the surface of the water and some other factors I forgot.But they were able to get fry from the pair..BY the way anyone remember that issue? would like some more info on it.It was about 7 yrs ago.

jakob4001

also some species tend to release thier spawn in the evening or sometime after lights out; or spawn may tend to hatch at that time;depending on species, the spawn may become food for the parents as well as whatever else is there; not to mention most clean up crews tend to be noctornal hunters;scavengers; like possibly a green brittle star; got to conside each foot on there is used for taste