Baby starfish

lepordstar19

I'm just wondering why I'm having baby starfish pop up all over my tank. I've had it for about 6 months and I've had 4 baby starfish just suddenly show up. I haven't added anything new in quite awhile.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepordstar19 http:///t/397297/baby-starfish#post_3540989
I'm just wondering why I'm having baby starfish pop up all over my tank. I've had it for about 6 months and I've had 4 baby starfish just suddenly show up. I haven't added anything new in quite awhile.

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

when you say "baby" starfish...I think you really mean...little starfish. There are all kinds of eggs living in live rock, besides the critters that are still alive when you get it. It takes time for stuff to start showing up that you would notice. Tiny brittle stars are called micro-stars, they live in the rock, and eat any left over food that fall deep inside where fish can't reach...they never get any bigger. Then are Astera stars, they are algae eaters, and again quite harmless. You can google both of those names and find pictures...if they don't match what you have, come back with a picture, and maybe we can have a better understanding of exactly what you are seeing.

lepordstar19

Yes I mean tiny starfish. I have a brittle and a chocolate chip starfish. The ones I'm seeing don't look like the brittle. And of course I didn't get a pic of this one but here is one that I took. They mostly look like this one. Only having 3 or 4 legs and the other one not fully grown yet.

lepordstar19

Thank you. Will they die off or are the other ones still in the tank but there so small I'm just not seeing them?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepordstar19 http:///t/397297/baby-starfish#post_3541001
Thank you. Will they die off or are the other ones still in the tank but there so small I'm just not seeing them?

Hi,

They are around as long as they find something to eat, they are good guys. As you watch your tank, all kinds of critters will be showing up.