Back again II: Desiring to start a new tank

woodymdt

Good afternoon everyone!
Man it's been quite awhile since I last posted here on SWF.com. A small update:
The 55 gallon tank was moved into the den from the bedroom, and then just went to crap!
I gave a couple of reasons,
1. I think I became a little lazy in my husbandry, and
2. The tank just took on an unsightly look, which was affected by and led to #1.
3. I can't explain but something about moving it from the bedroom to the den just made things go haywire fast, and I couldn't combat it.
I tore the tank down, took the remnants to an aquariast store where the guys I've come to trust were happy to assist and take back the LR, fish, snails, etc. that were in the tank, and found good homes for them.
So here I am with a 55 gallon tank sitting empty in the shed. Powerheads, HOB filters, a Prism skimmer all sitting in boxes doing nothing.
My desire right now is to start over with the 55; again in the bedroom where it seemed we had the best success with the tank prior. I think this time I want to go a lot slower than I did before, and this time I want to build a sump/fuge area underneath the tank cabinet for a better chance at long term success with the tank.
Anyway, just wanted to say hello to those who I'd chatted with in the past, and hope to be able to glean some more knowledge and inspiration from you in the near future.
A goal right now is to start this probably the middle of January, as I want to get the Christmas season through before starting anything, which will give me a little more time to assemble anything else that I need, and to read up and find out things that I messed up on before.
So if anyone has any questions, advice, suggestions, etc. I will certainly read up on them and answer any questions that might assist, I'd be happy to entertain them in this thread.

team2jndd

I started with a 55 as well and it is a small tank and is very easy to go wrong with. I deffinately think that it is a mature decision to go slow because the start up of a marine aquarium is by far the most difficult part. After many stupid mistakes I finally got my 55g setup the way I wanted and later upgraded but if you have any questions I should be able to help you out.

woodymdt

Originally Posted by team2jndd
I started with a 55 as well and it is a small tank and is very easy to go wrong with. I deffinately think that it is a mature decision to go slow because the start up of a marine aquarium is by far the most difficult part. After many stupid mistakes I finally got my 55g setup the way I wanted and later upgraded but if you have any questions I should be able to help you out.
Team:
Could you give me a rundown of what you have in your tank, as far as accessories?
Pumps? overflow? skimmer? powerheads? etc?
I'd like to see what someone who has an established tank is running, to see how far away I am from having something that will succeed.
Thanks,

woodymdt

Originally Posted by team2jndd
reef or fowlr?
More than likely a reef. I'd like having corals along with the fish.

team2jndd

I would get a skimmer rated to atleast 125 gallons I used one made by coralife. For filtration I used a 38 gallon refugium that I built out of a 38 gallon tank. You do not need one quite this large as of now I run a 10g refugium on my 58 gallon bow. I would use a series of powerheads to create a circular flow that will insure all the water will pass through filtration. Metal halides are a must I prefer HQI.

squidd

Hey Woody what's up...?
Hadn't heard much from you after the "move" was wondering how things were progressing..
But hey, sometimes "starting over" and doing it right "is" progress...

woodymdt

Originally Posted by Squidd
Hey Woody what's up...?
Hadn't heard much from you after the "move" was wondering how things were progressing..
But hey, sometimes "starting over" and doing it right "is" progress...

Hiya Squidd...
Man after moving everything to the 55...it went south in a HURRY, and we just couldn't get a handle on it...so we tore everything down so we didn't kill anything. All the livestock and LR went to our local LFS, and the PH's, filters, skimmer, etc. went into a box.
I've cleaned the tank of all the coraline and gunk that accumulated on the glass, and it's setting currently on the deck, waiting to be moved, or used again.
Of course I'd LOVE to just go buy a 100+ gallon tank, drilled, with all the accessories, but that's just not possible right now.
I KNOW people have kept very good tanks like our size, and have done well with them...I want to learn how to do that here!!! So Squidd old buddy...how about this..if/when you have time. What if I list out what we have, and you go through the list and pick out what would help us successfully re-start this 55 and not lose control over it? Think you'd be willing?
btw...Merry Christmas to all!!

woodymdt

Ok Squidd:
Here is what I have in my possession as far as tanks, equipment, etc.
3 ten gallon glass aquariums
1 20 gallon long glass aquarium
1 29 gallon tall hex tank
1 40 gallon long glass tank - currently a freshwater tank
1 55 gallon glass stock tank
All tanks are non drilled
2 - Emporer 400 biowheel filters
1 - Auqatech 30/60 large filter
Penguin mini biowheel filter
Penguin 195 biowheel filter
2 175 gph powerheads
1 Maxi Jet 1200 - 350 gph? powerhead
1 titanium heater
1 Prizm 125 gallon skimmer
coralife 4x96w lighting system
Satellite 2x96w lighting system
I think I've remembered everything...going off memory.
So Squidd old buddy old pal....
Mix and match and let me know what you'd use, or add.
Also, I'm considering putting together a 10 gallon tank...probably nothing more than LR, LS, cleanup crew and maybe a couple damsels....let me get your input there, if/when you have the time.

woodymdt

I've done some more reading and talking with some other SW hobbyists, and I've gotten some cautiously encouraging suggestions as far as setting up the 10 gallon tank.
I'm thinking right now what I may do is setup one ten gallon tank at home, and one ten gallon tank here at the office...that way we can enjoy the SW flora and fauna until we're ready to tackle the 55 gallon tank again!
So, any thoughts on the proper setup for the ten gallon tanks?
I'm going to save up and get the 20" 2x48w light setup for the tank at the office.
I also have two 20w 6,500k PC bulbs that will give off 40w total for the home tank until we can afford to get another 2x48w setup for home. Would that be enough lighting for say some mushrooms, or other low light specimens?

murph

If it where me and depending on how much money is to be spent on the project, the 55 would become the sump/fuge and I would buy at least a 75 gallon standard dimension tank for the display.
The 55 can be easily hidden behind the display tank and function for all equipment deep sand bed and macro growth and hard plumbing circulation. May not be enough room in a bedroom for such a set up as life will be much easier if you can access the set up from behind and front for maintenance.
The expanded water volume alone will lead to much greater success just avoid the temptation to overstock the display tank, just pretend that the 75 gallons is all you are working with and things will work out well for you.
Your not exactly a newbie anymore and the temptation to move to fast wont be nearly as great this time around. That alone will probably mean a better tank no matter how you decide to go about it equipment wise. Good luck.

woodymdt

Thanks Murph; Let me ask you this:
Buying a new tank in 2006 is out of the question, at least right now. Would I be able to take your suggestions and use them with the 55 as the display, and the 40 as the sump/fuge tank? That would give me close to 75-80 gallons of volume so maybe that would help as well.
Also, If I build an overflow box and run pumps from the sump to return to the display, does that not take the place of using powerheads in the display tank? I was hoping to be able to create a pvc spray bar that would help circulate and flow the water better without having the bulkiness of the powerheads in the display.

woodymdt

I think I found a suitable lighting system for the 10 gallon reef.
It's an Odyssea 65w 24" PC light.
Thoughts?

squidd

Sorry, been out of town last couple days...
Given the options above, and limiting to the available equipment, I would go with the 55 main tank, get a stand custom built to house the 40 under as a sump fuge...
If you want FW use the 29 tall hex (not real practical for SW)
You'll still need an over flow (HOB, maybe DIY?) and a decent pump to return from sump (Mag 9.5) Skip the spray bar too much restriction and use the three powerheads to supplement flow in MT...
The Prizm skimmer is junk, but use it till you can afford another (do save for this peice, it is neccessary)
Use ALL the lights over the MT 4X96 with 10K bulbs and 2X96 with actinics...
Id also say "skip" the 10s for now get ONE tank up and running (55/MT) and stabilized...then use it as a "feeder" for a 10 nano...(move corals over as you replace/reaquascape/frag existing)
At that point (down the road) I would use the 10 as MT and the 20 long as sump/fuge beneath...maybe the prizm will work there, so don't start the 10 project till you have upgraded the skimmer on the 55...

woodymdt

Thanks Squidd,
Good to see you back. Hope your travels were uneventful!
OK, I'll read up your posts, separate my equipment to see what I'll need, and make some posts to see what happens here.
use the 30 hex as the FW tank..hadn't really thought of that...
Actually I think I might try and sell it...see if anyone else wants it. Then I can use the monies from that towards the better skimmer.
Aqua C Remora still the skimmer close to everyone's hearts?

trainfever

One thing I would add to what Squid said is to have your 55 drilled now while it is empty. Running a sump/refugium is no much easier with a drilled tank.

woodymdt

Originally Posted by trainfever
One thing I would add to what Squid said is to have your 55 drilled now while it is empty. Running a sump/refugium is no much easier with a drilled tank.
I was told that I couldn't drill the 55 that I have?? Is it possible TO drill it?

woodymdt

Squidd? Or anyone else...something else I've read that I'd like you guys to comment on.
I've read a bunch of threads and posts about lighting, and a lot of people are using T-5 setups, and Metal Halide?
I've seen that they're quite on the expensive side...do some of you have some experience with them? If so, what can you tell me about them? Pros vs. Cons?