Back Siphon problem---sump

drewdog82

I was told to cut a hole in the piping just below the water line in the display tank, so that their wouldn't be any back siphoning. Well I cut a small hole and their was still alot of back siphoning and my sump overflowed. Anyone have any ideas on what to do???? :help:

120reefer

Eeeek... you have to make a hole ABOVE the water line... who told you to put it below it? What type of inlet hose/piping are you using?

drewdog82

Originally Posted by 120reefer
Eeeek... you have to make a hole ABOVE the water line... who told you to put it below it? What type of inlet hose/piping are you using?
I just fixed it, but I still have a problem. My setup is a 55 gal. with a overflow rated up to 600 gph. This is emptying into my fuge which has a hole in the back with the piping going to my sump by the forces of gravity. The problem is that the hole in the back of the tank is slightly lower than the top of the sump, so the water is actually going up slightly. When I have everything turned on, the water in my fuge rises to fast.... I had 2 ideas: 1. Somehow slowing down the power of my return pump (mag-drive 5), but not sure how??? or idea 2. Buy some wood to put under the fuge to raise it so that it is above the sump.??? Does anyone think either of these ideas will work??

slugg3r

The easy way to slow down the pump is to put a ball valve in your piping and close it down some. This increases the head pressure and slows the pump down.

dogstar

Not clear were you drilled the hole...it should be at or slightly below the normal running water level in the main tank in the RETURN pipe/line/tube. Not the drain.
The line going to the sump should be big enough so the fuge does not overflow....

drewdog82

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Not clear were you drilled the hole...it should be at or slightly below the normal running water level in the main tank in the RETURN pipe/line/tube. Not the drain.
The line going to the sump should be big enough so the fuge does not overflow....
Well I'm about to put some wood underneath the fuge to raise it above the sump.... hope it works, otherwise I will need a new plan.